How is the web group at LDS organized?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
obelix-p40

How is the web group at LDS organized?

Post by obelix-p40 »

I have a quick question... I just you noticed that you are part of the PFS team. I'm wondering how is the Mormon church's web team organized in totality? Is there an external facing sites team and an internal one as well? Are there any other teams you guys employ? Also is there a team of designers or something like that as well? I'm very interested in your organization and how it's structured as it seems like you get a lot done in a relatively short amount of time for such a large organization - and the quality is really high for a religious organization.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

The Church has multiple teams of developers with different specialties. We have many Java engineers, web designers who we call "interaction designers", QA engineers, etc. A team of engineers is usually managed by a development manager. Programs are overseen by program managers and report to a "product manager" who is a representative of the end user of the product and helps define the product.

I hope that this answers your questions.

Tom
obelix-p40

Post by obelix-p40 »

Thanks for the response Tom that does really help. I'm also wondering how the teams are structured? I read that there is an Public Facing Sites team and I'm assuming there's an internal one as well... are there any other such teams? I'm just inquisitive because your model is clearly working very well for your organization.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

obelix wrote:Thanks for the response Tom that does really help. I'm also wondering how the teams are structured? I read that there is an Public Facing Sites team and I'm assuming there's an internal one as well... are there any other such teams? I'm just inquisitive because your model is clearly working very well for your organization.
We are actually divided up based upon what we call "portfolios". So, for example, there is a "missionary" portfolio, a "member / leader" portfolio, etc. Portfolios teams then perform all of the work related to that portfolio.

Tom

Return to “General Discussions”