GSuite church accounts are "education" accounts?

Using Google Meet, Zoom, etc.)
dustinhollis

GSuite church accounts are "education" accounts?

Post by dustinhollis »

We are using Meet to create 2nd hour meetings but running into an issue where those members that want to join the Meet but dont have a Google account are required to sign up for one.
I know that Business GSuite users dont have this requirement. It looks like perhaps the church accounts are education accounts which have the ability to allow aonymous logins to Meet turned off by default.

https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com/20 ... -from.html

Is there a way to contact someone to allow anonymous logins to Meet on?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: GSuite church accounts are "education" accounts?

Post by russellhltn »

Are they using desktop/laptops, or are they using mobile devices? That makes a difference.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dustinhollis

Post by dustinhollis »

Desktop.
Ive tested it on my desktop at home. I can join a Google Meet created by me with my work Business GSuite account without logging into gmail. But if I try to join a Meet created with a church GSuite account without a google login I immediately get prompted to login to Google or create a google account. Its not a HUGE problem, as most people have a google account, but some of our older members dont have one and its just one more thing for them to remember.
andigjoligu

Post by andigjoligu »

It is a big problem for us for sure. A lot of our older members don't have google accounts. We have a multi stake virtual fireside setup for this Sunday. We need to turn on the feature to allow for anonymous users before this Sunday.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

dustinhollis wrote:But if I try to join a Meet created with a church GSuite account without a google login I immediately get prompted to login to Google or create a google account.
I just confirmed your results. On one computer, I started a Google Meet using my church G Suite account, and joined it. On a different computer, I tried to join using Edge, Chrome, and Chrome incognito mode. At first, it displayed a simple prompt, "What is your name?" This is similar to the prompt you get when you join a Zoom meeting. But within a second or two, the browser flips to the Google Sign In screen, forcing you to sign in to a Google account before it will admit you into the meeting.

This contradicts the email sent to stake clerks and STS on April 16th:
Google Meet has no time limit on meetings and provides dial-in options. Only the person hosting the meeting needs a Google account.
We didn't have that problem when we began using my G Suite account on July 12th. People without Google accounts could join my meeting. But that changed before the end of July.

Bait and Switch.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

BINGO! Found it! This explains exactly why it allowed anonymous users on July 12th, but not at a later date.

https://workspaceupdates.googleblog.com ... -from.html
Anonymous users will be blocked from Google Meet for G Suite for Education meetings by default
To increase the privacy of education meetings in Google Meet, anonymous users (users not signed into a Google account) can no longer join meetings organized by anyone with a G Suite for Education or G Suite Enterprise for Education license. This prevents participants from sharing a link publicly to encourage anonymous users to request access. Note, this does not prevent users from dialing in by phone.
Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on July 13, 2020
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Interactive Virtual Meetings”