Check your Windows versions

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Check your Windows versions

Post by russellhltn »

The next time you're in the clerk's office, you might want to check the version/feature update of Windows 10 that is running.

For some reason, NONE of the computers in my stake are updating normally. Some were as far back as 1511 which lost support two years ago.

Versions are in YYMM format - 1511 is 2015 Nov.

The easiest way to see the version is to type "winver" on the command line or type it in "search" and select "Run command".

Currently, anything before 1809 is unsupported and no longer receiving security patches. 1809 loses support in May 2020, so you probably want to be on 1903 or 1909. You can update if you go Start > Settings (gear icon) > Update & Security. But it may take some prodding over several visits to get it up to date. Some updates can take hours, so plan accordingly. You probably want to do this over multiple visits.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Re: Check your Windows versions

Post by drepouille »

My ward computer is running 1903. Checked it this morning.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
rscorse47

Post by rscorse47 »

The current version is 2004, but the automatic updates seems to be disabled. I have been using the settings, updates option to see what is available, sometimes seeing as many as 8 different ones. And when the version update is available, it takes hours to complete, then has additional updates to it.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

rscorse47 wrote:The current version is 2004, but the automatic updates seems to be disabled.
Disabling automatic updates is intentional. Clerk computer operating system updates are done through the security software rather than directly through Microsoft's update program. This allows the ICS department to evaluate system update affects on clerk computer programs such as MLS as well as system security.
rscorse47 wrote:I have been using the settings, updates option to see what is available, sometimes seeing as many as 8 different ones. And when the version update is available, it takes hours to complete, then has additional updates to it.
You may want to check with your STS to see how he wants updates to be handled. Installing system updates before the updates have been evaluated on Church computers could result in Church support issues. I don't recall any such problems occurring in the past couple of years. There were some problems farther back in time.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

My ward computer is running 1909. Checked it this morning.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

drepouille wrote:My ward computer is running 1909. Checked it this morning.
As is our computer.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

So is 1909 where we should be?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Windows 10, version 1903 will reach the end of service on December 8, 2020.

1909 reaches end of service on May 10 2022 May 22, 2021 for Professional versions. Enterprise versions go until May 2022.

Edit: 2004 will reach end of service on Dec 14, 2021.

I would hold off of 2004. I was under the impression that 2004 expired before 1909, but I see for the Pro version, that's not true.

That's my own take. I've not seen direction from the church.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I think I will not be so aggressive in provisioning new clerk computers, then. I had one enter the Uninstall Loop trying to upgrade to 2004, and I wound up dropping it back to 1909 anyway. Perhaps there was a subtle message in there for me.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I dug a little deeper and had to adjust my post. 2004 is fine if it will install. You've got until next General Conference to upgrade to it, but by then, the fall release for 2020 should be out.

Return to “Clerk Computers”