Windows Local Accounts not available

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Windows Local Accounts not available

Post by russellhltn »

ulupoi wrote:In addition, we have unit computers that are now demanding that the unit account password be changed every 42 days. I think that this is also due to a configuration setting meant for employee computers being pushed to unit computers by mistake. According to the GSC person I talked to, unit computer passwords are not supposed to expire.
I don't know about that. As shipped in 2016, I saw unit logins expire. Maybe not 42 days (42? Do we have a "Hitchhikers" fan in IT?), but it did expire and have to be changed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

russellhltn wrote:
ulupoi wrote:In addition, we have unit computers that are now demanding that the unit account password be changed every 42 days. I think that this is also due to a configuration setting meant for employee computers being pushed to unit computers by mistake. According to the GSC person I talked to, unit computer passwords are not supposed to expire.
I don't know about that. As shipped in 2016, I saw unit logins expire. Maybe not 42 days (42? Do we have a "Hitchhikers" fan in IT?), but it did expire and have to be changed.
I noticed the same thing with the unit computers that I installed around that same time. I contacted the GSC and they told me that it was set that way mistakenly. Now, the problem is back, and probably for the same reason, that is, employee computer settings getting applied by mistake to unit computers.

If I remember correctly, "42" is the default setting, so I'm guessing that the "Hitchhiker's Guide" fan is at Microsoft.

Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Just set up a new computer tonight. Not connected long enough to get new policies. But it had the same 42 day password requirement on it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

The church must have reversed whatever they did to our login domain. Now, the Windows login screen shows all our local accounts, as well as all our personal Microsoft accounts. When I thought the Clerk local account was gone, I had created a Clerk2 local account, so now of course, both accounts appear. When my "Repouille" local account disappeared, I added my Microsoft account, so now of course, both my local account and my Microsoft account appear.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
torriem

Post by torriem »

russellhltn wrote:Actually gone, or just the icons not appearing? Any possibility you went into a different account and just aren't seeing your usual desktop icons?
Actually gone. All applications were uninstalled. In fact there was a little log file I found that dutifully noted all of the software packages that were uninstalled. The time stamp indicated it had happened a week prior. I haven't yet had time to do anything more than get it all running again using the .\ username trick.. I'll be sure to go in and remove it from the domain. So far only happened to one machine thankfully.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

torriem wrote:In fact there was a little log file I found that dutifully noted all of the software packages that were uninstalled.
:o

dnslynn

Post by dnslynn »

Just to add to the observation that this is a continuing problem, I have now had several computers get joined to the domain a second time since this all started.

Return to “Clerk Computers”