Phone keeps disconnecting from wifi

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
craiggsmith

Phone keeps disconnecting from wifi

Post by craiggsmith »

My iPhone 7 phone keeps disconnecting from the network. I accepted the terms of use page and use it for a bit but it only stays connected for a few minutes. I am usually wandering around, maybe it's not handing off between access points?

On a related note, while we were testing last night one of us was able to access some web sites (from a laptop) without accepting terms of use for a bit, but eventually it popped up.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Phone keeps disconnecting from wifi

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:I am usually wandering around, maybe it's not handing off between access points?
That's certainly a possibility. I am assuming they're all Meraki APs and all properly associated with the same firewall. By chance, do you know if the new Meraki switches have been installed and all APs are going direct to the switches?
craiggsmith wrote:On a related note, while we were testing last night one of us was able to access some web sites (from a laptop) without accepting terms of use for a bit, but eventually it popped up.
Someone suggested it may be related to DNS. If the laptop didn't need a DNS lookup right away (perhaps cached values) that might explain it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Yes, it is all Meraki equipment, we were part of the pilot so we’ve had the full stack for a couple years and I’ve had this phone for about the same time with no problems.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
brogers

Post by brogers »

I'm glad to see this report. A Bishop in the other Ward that share's our building complains that he, and some others in his ward also have this issue. It started either with the switch to Liahona or when the terms of use landing page was added (I'm not sure) All those with problems have Apple devices. I have heard that it may be due to the mac address randomization, but I don't know for sure. Interestingly enough, I've never heard anyone from my Ward or others I know complain of this issue. At least now I know others have experienced this as well.
One thing I'm suspicious about is that that Ward uses a wireless printer. That may have something to do with it. If I can I'll try to do some more investigation into exactly under what conditions and exactly which devices are seeing this issue.
I should add that we have the latest Meraki switch installed, which got installed about a month ago. But the problem was occurring before than and persists after that upgrade. One thing I've wondered if there is something mis-configured in the Access Point which serves that Bishop's office area, which is the cause of his grief.
brogers

Post by brogers »

The person having this issue told me that with the guidance of some Apple troubleshooting article he feels he's resolved the issue. It apparently involved forgetting the network, reconnecting, and making sure the auto connect was toggled on.
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

This has been determined to be a byproduct of IOS 14's new feature called "Private WiFi Address" which instructs a device to present a random MAC address to a wireless network when it connects. It interprets each different WAP in the same meetinghouse as a different network, thus changing the MAC address if moving around the building, which is requiring a new ToS page. Apple has provided a way to turn off Private WiFi Address on a per network basis on their devices:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227

Once this is turned off for Liahona, the multiple daily requests to accept the Terms of Service splash page on an Apple device should cease.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

This happened again, and I wasn't moving around, just sitting in the same chair. It disconnected after only a minute or less. I think I had this problem before upgrading to iOS 14, but I will try both of the previously mentioned suggestions next time.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I received a email this morning from mht to STSs. They indicate that if the AP isn't connected directly to a Meraki, or the port isn't set to AP, that connections problems can result.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Hmmm, I didn't get that email. At any rate, these APs are definitely connected to a Meraki switch, and I think they are set up correctly although I didn't do them. How do I tell? I don't have a problem with my computer, just my iphone.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:I think they are set up correctly although I didn't do them. How do I tell? I don't have a problem with my computer, just my iphone.
If you have access to TM, make sure the ports that have APs are set to AP. You can identify those ports because the LLDP field will say MR33.

The other thing is it set your iPhone to not change the Mac address for the liahona network.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”