Teradek Auto Configure

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
mmacconnell

Teradek Auto Configure

Post by mmacconnell »

We have a Teradek Pro that we recently started using. The Manual Configuration works great and members are really enjoying the WebCast.

The problem I have is that when I set it Remote XML and use the Auto Configuration link provided, that never works. If I change it back to use the manual configuration links, the Teradek will auto start the broadcast perfectly fine.

Is there something we need to do on a Teradek Pro to get the Auto Configuration to work?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Teradek Auto Configure

Post by russellhltn »

Silly question - has that encoder been selected for the event?

I think you can test the Auto Configure by putting that same link into a browser and see what happens. You should get an XML file back if everything is ready.

Note that the Auto Configure will not work until the servers are up and ready to stream.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

The Teradek VidiU Pro has a new default setting that does not allow it to autoconfigure with the Church webcast servers. I do not know if the Church webcast folks are working on accepting the new setting or not. One solution, until the roblem is fixed, is to manually load the codes for each webcast.

According to this topic, if you roll the firmware back to version 3.0.7 it will autoconfigure again. It has to do with one of the new default settings in later versions of the firmware that is not compatible with the Church servers.
mmacconnell

Post by mmacconnell »

Thanks, that explains it. We will just wait until they provide a fix for the Teradek Pro..
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mmacconnell wrote:Thanks, that explains it. We will just wait until they provide a fix for the Teradek Pro..
Unless you have some insight that I do not, and think they are actually working on a fix, I would downgrade the firmware so it would configure and connect automatically. We would not be using the Church system to webcast sacrament meetings from the stake center if someone had to enter the URL/stream information manually into the encoder each week. I can barely talk them through the process of plugging it in and turning it on each week. And if I have to travel to that meetinghouse to resolve anything, the first meeting of the day is toast.
mikeba

Post by mikeba »

We have an older Teradek VidiU (non-Pro) version running firmware version 3.0.8.

We have it auto-configured with the XML and ours will auto-provision the event and auto-start but never stops. It becomes problematic when you have a 9am (1hr duration) scheduled webcast and it will continue streaming 15 mins or more past the event end time. It requires manual intervention to end the event via the Event Manager for the administration of the Sacrament.

Also, if you have a 9am (1hr duration) and 11am (1hr duration) webcast scheduled, members can start watching the 11am starting at 10am during the pre-buffer phase because the VidiU is still live streaming.

Lastly, when the Azure MHW CDN servers terminates the session, it leaves the VidiU in an odd state that you cannot manage the device unless you either create a quick test event or simply unplug the device.

We were looking to some how acquire a Pro version however it's sold out every where (church store and regular consumer channel).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The auto configure was a feature developed by the industry, not the church. Probably to simplify management of a "flock" of encoders at a large event. As such, I don't think that standard includes start/stop times, just the link.

You'll have to use the button on the Teradek to stop it. I'm not sure what it takes to get the device to check for a updated config file. There might be a way short of powering off, but I don't know what it is. A quick look though the manual didn't seem to go into auto configure at all.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mikeba

Post by mikeba »

Thank you for your reply russellhltn,

From the How-to-Guide-for-Meetinghouse-Webcast-3-0_en.pdf starting on pg7, it details the steps for the MH WebCast system to auto-configure the Teradek's. In fact, on page 8 there is a picture of the 'Auto-Start' that is enabled. Evidently, there is no option to 'Auto-Stop' the live broadcast. :cry:

However, I noticed further in that same guide, starting on pg 21, it states during the pre-buffer phase the event will start live broadcasting up to 2 hours (!!!) before the event and up to 30 minutes past the event during the post-buffer phase. That's rough to manage with you have 9am and 11am ward start times and instructions from Area Presidency to not broadcast the Administration of the Sacrament at the end of the meeting.

Unfortunately, in our case, our stake center is in a socioeconomic challenged area with very few technically savvy individuals to manage the Teradek. Also, the A/V room is on the opposite of the building behind a heavy dead-bolted door to prevent theft from recent break-ins, so it's not near the chapel area to simply turn-off or power down at the end of a meeting.

I don't know much influence the tech forum community has on the MH webcast developers however I would like to recommend if within the MWC Event Manager, when "Ward Sacrament Meeting" is selected in the Broadcast Type dropdown, then that meeting starts and ends the live stream at the exact configured start time and duration time. This would be especially useful when reoccurring events are scheduled in MWC therefore less manual intervention is involved for things to break and technical savvy members are in low supply.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mikeba wrote:From the How-to-Guide-for-Meetinghouse-Webcast-3-0_en.pdf starting on pg7, it details the steps for the MH WebCast system to auto-configure the Teradek's. In fact, on page 8 there is a picture of the 'Auto-Start' that is enabled. Evidently, there is no option to 'Auto-Stop' the live broadcast. :cry:
Check page 18 on how the auto-start works. I imagine the encoder will start as soon as it gets the config file. But I'd be surprised if the system waits until start time to send it as there's no graceful recovery if it fails to start.
mikeba wrote:I would like to recommend if within the MWC Event Manager, when "Ward Sacrament Meeting" is selected in the Broadcast Type dropdown, then that meeting starts and ends the live stream at the exact configured start time and duration time.
I have yet to see an actual meeting that is able to start/end at it's precise time. Even general conference can end 2-3 minutes early. Far too inaccurate to be used to edit out the sacrament portion of the meeting as proposed.

Someone with the Teradek app can remotely start/stop the unit with their phone. Either via the network or over the built-in AP.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mikeba wrote:However, I noticed further in that same guide, starting on pg 21, it states during the pre-buffer phase the event will start live broadcasting up to 2 hours (!!!) before the event and up to 30 minutes past the event during the post-buffer phase.
This has changed, although I am at a loss to point to directions of any sort.

The system will let you begin encoding to a live event one hour before it is scheduled to begin. I do not know how long you can encode afterward. It was 30 minutes, but I am wondering if it has been reduced. I do not know. Until I find out, I will extend the webcast before the original expiration time.

I have also observed (from sad experience) that if you turn on the encoder before the 60-minute Pre Buffer begins, the Teradek VidiU will not pick up the broadcast and will not switch to Live without manual intervention during the hour before the webcast is scheduled to begin (or in our case, after it began). Sure, all it takes is pressing the start button (twice), but you have to know to do it, I was not onsite, and my texts were going to the fellow who was out of state and had left a helper in charge.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”