T&C Splash screen for new Liahona SSID

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: T&C Splash screen for new Liahona SSID

Post by russellhltn »

Since you have access to TM, when you go into the managed switch, do you see "Meraki MR33 Cloud Managed AP" under the LLDP for each of your APs? If not, then it's likely they're not wired directly to the switch like they should be.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:Since you have access to TM, when you go into the managed switch, do you see "Meraki MR33 Cloud Managed AP" under the LLDP for each of your APs? If not, then it's likely they're not wired directly to the switch like they should be.
Yep. Just found one in my stake center like that. It was added after the original ones and wasn't added correctly. Pretty easy to spot. In TM, click on your firewall, then DEVICES --> ACCESS POINTS. They all should be on their own VLAN, which is the same VLAN as the new managed switch. Mine is showing as 192.168.12.x, all except my one rogue AP; it's on 192.168.111.x.

Another way (like russellhltn mentioned) is go to DEVICES --> SWITCHES and click on Manage. Look (but don't touch) at the assignments there. Mine shows Ports 1-3 are AP's with another AP showing up on Port 7, which is assigned to Public.

I'm not positive if this will cause the problems others have posted about, but it's not correct and my OCD won't let me leave it configured like that.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:I'm not positive if this will cause the problems others have posted about, but it's not correct and my OCD won't let me leave it configured like that.
According to a email I got from mht:
A Meraki AP will not be able to connect to the internet if the Switch Port is still configured as "Public" in TM. This will also provide a bad, hard to troubleshoot wireless experience.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:According to a email I got from mht:
A Meraki AP will not be able to connect to the internet if the Switch Port is still configured as "Public" in TM. This will also provide a bad, hard to troubleshoot wireless experience.
Now that you mention it, I recall reading that. Before I move it to Port 4 on the switch, I'll see if it currently affects the ability to properly get and/or keep a connection on a wireless device.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Mikerowaved wrote:Before I move it to Port 4 on the switch, I'll see if it currently affects the ability to properly get and/or keep a connection on a wireless device.
Technically, it can be on any port of the managed switch, as long as that port is set as an AP. Still, I would move it to port 4 and set that one to AP.

The "preferred" configuration seems to be to put all of the APs on the first few ports of the managed switch, and leave the public connections to the higher numbered ports.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Mikerowaved wrote:
russellhltn wrote:According to a email I got from mht:
Now that you mention it, I recall reading that. Before I move it to Port 4 on the switch, I'll see if it currently affects the ability to properly get and/or keep a connection on a wireless device.
As a follow-up, I was finally able to test the misconfigured AP and can confirm it will allow connected devices to access the building's LAN, but not access the Internet. The problem was, it was wired to a Public dumb switch and not directly to the managed switch.

I deactivated the AP, changed the cable to Port 4 of the managed switch, activated it again, rebooted it, and it now shows up on the proper 192.168.12.x VLAN. Connected devices now have Internet access.

One other thing I noticed - our older 10/100 dumb switches were swapped out with GigE switches. Thanks FM!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Something I ran across trying to look up information. From the Meetinghouse Network Troubleshooting Guide
Under "Wireless Access Points (AP) Troubleshooting Guide", 1 a iii 3 c i:
"Power injectors and in line switches are not permitted. Meraki APs must connect to Meraki switches to function properly."
Switches is understood, but the prohibition on power injectors surprise me.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Switches is understood, but the prohibition on power injectors surprise me.
The ports on the new managed switches provide PoE. Wouldn't another power box just confuse things?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:The ports on the new managed switches provide PoE. Wouldn't another power box just confuse things?
I wouldn't think so. I saw some installations done that way pre-managed switches and it didn't cause a problem. The AP is powered by the power injector instead of the switch.

My best guess is they're using some extra lines, or perhaps wanting to be able to power cycle the AP from the switch.

19rgiles

Post by 19rgiles »

A couple of our chapels are having issues with the T&C Splash screen/Wifi in general. Apple products are not connecting nor pulling up the screen. Androids are connecting about half the time! We as missionaries spend time in the corner of the chapel so we might be a bit far from a router but half the time the wifi works fine. Not sure what we can do to reset the router. Anyone seeing the same issue with Apple products not being able to connect?

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”