Descendants in the Book of Ether

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
sallynoble

Descendants in the Book of Ether

Post by sallynoble »

Has anyone noticed in the 1st Chapter of the Book of Ether when it gives the list of the descendants in vs 12 Shiblon is spelled with an " n " at the last of his name.
In Chapter 11 where it talks about 'Shiblon' life vs. 4-12 his name is spelled Shiblom with an 'm' at the end of his name.
I have never noticed this before, so my question... I am sure this is a typo from a long time ago, but does anyone know if his name is Shiblon ? or Shiblom?
I didn't know where else to as this question, this form looks like it could be a good place to ask.
Thank you
Sister Noble
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: Descendants in the Book of Ether

Post by rmrichesjr »

That is a very good catch. I don't recall having heard anyone else having caught that spelling difference. A new copy of the Book of Mormon shows the difference, so the difference was apparently not reconciled in the latest edition. I checked the relevant sections of the institute manuals but did not see any mention of the name with either spelling.

I don't remember where or who said it, but I remember having heard many years ago that a study of proper names in the Book of Mormon found more proper names in the Book of Ether end in 'm' while more proper names in the other books end in 'n', which would be consistent with different languages of origin for the names.

Just for myself, I'm inclined to put the question of that spelling difference with the list of questions involving the geographical arrangement of the cities and lands of the Book of Mormon.
sallynoble

Post by sallynoble »

Thank you so much for your reply. I decided to follow the order of the descendants from chapter 1 as I read chapter 11 or I would have never of caught the different spelling.

And thank you for the information on the proper names in the Book of Ether ending in the "m" I will do as you suggested.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The series "Analysis of Textual Variants of the Book of Mormon" by Royal Skousen discusses the name Shiblon/Shiblom in volume 6, pages 3718–3720 (yes, there really are three pages about it, and there really are more than 3000 pages of commentary in the series). :)
https://interpreterfoundation.org/books/atv/p6/
(Type "284" as the page number in the PDF viewer and press Enter.)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sallynoble wrote:I am sure this is a typo from a long time ago, but does anyone know if his name is Shiblon ? or Shiblom?
The astounding reference to which sbradshaw has pointed in the post just before this one says that the N is correct (if you get all the way to page 3720).

And sbradshaw, that is a most fascinating book I never even knew existed before today. Thank you for sharing.
sallynoble

Post by sallynoble »

Thank you so much for your comments and your good information. I did read the 3 pages of his book, it is online, it was informative.
I do realize the spelling of names incorrect is irrelevant to the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, it testifies of our Lord and Savior, but it
is interesting to do some research.

Although both of you did the research I just asked the question. Thank you again.

I didn't know this forum was here, I was trying to find contact information to ask the question. And I was guided here, the Lord does
give us answers to our questions if we search.

Return to “General Discussions”