Fast internet upload speed test - but slow Teradek encode rate???

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
shanebankhead

Re: Fast internet upload speed test - but slow Teradek encode rate???

Post by shanebankhead »

@CalS201 Thanks for the feedback. I will continue to test with all of this in mind.

@russellhltn Your comment about overheating really caught my attention. We have 2 Teradeks, and both of them consistently run super hot. So I just figured this was normal for this device. We always prop it up so it gets good ventilation during use. But I'll try putting a fan on it next time and see if that helps. Do you have any more information about overheating issues with Teradek? I haven't thought to check that out, but I'll search the forums & Vidiu documentation too. Is there a way to tell if it is throttling due to thermal issues? I don't recall seeing anything about temperature in the Teradek console.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've not used them extensively, but have seen other posts commenting on heat problems. I did notice that it came with mounts to place them on a camera hotshoe such that they're vertical. I took it as a hint to do the same. I tie-wrap it so that the "side" vents are now top and bottom to maximize convention cooling.

I'm not aware of any way to test for overheating.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jacobstimpson

Post by jacobstimpson »

shanebankhead wrote:@winjesluck Definitely not the camera, as that is what motivated this exercise. We just got upgraded to new HD camera and building system, and the video looks fantastic locally. So now we are wanting to translate some of this newfound video quality to our broadcasts.

@russellhltn Thanks for the suggestion about the Ping test. We did this a while ago, but I just checked again and there appears to be a newer server available now that has slightly better performance. Not nearly enough to explain the issue I'm having, but every little bit will help. We will try the new server on our next test.

So, still stumped... Performance does seem to fluctuate over time, so I'm still suspecting a flaky internet connection. Any other ideas are welcome.

What camera are you using and how does one find the specs for the "new hd camera and building system"? We are interested in learning about it to determine next steps. We had a GA conference today at the Stake Center and everyone at home thought we were having technical difficulties because of Video quality, no two way audio with zoom and various other "features" that affected our probably older than me system. We were able to change the location of leadership session yesterday to another meetinghouse that had newer tech and everything went super great. We don't have a broadcasting expert in our stake (or one that has made us aware that they exist) and after several hours of troubleshooting at the stake center we all agreed to just move forward and hope for the best today..

However.. Given that we all assume these broadcasts will likely happen for several more months etc... Our Stake President asked us to learn what the "new buildings" have and if there are options to upgrade...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jacobstimpson wrote:how does one find the specs for the "new hd camera and building system"?
It's whatever you get when FM overhauls the AV system. I'm not sure what the frequency is, but probably measured in decades and not years.

I wouldn't count on that happening anytime soon.

For our last stake conference, it was a small gathering of just participants. I only used power, audio and internet connections. Everything else was in the pew on the 3rd row.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
quintonrhq

Post by quintonrhq »

We have seen this problem as well. The Teradek connection throttles down regardless of the available upload speed and settings. We have run the Teradek at 1280x720 for some time but recently it pinches off at 960x640. During a recent stake conference we ran two webcasts simultaneously (English/Spanish). The Teradek version was a lower resolution and the OBS version was at 1280x720. Salt Lake has not had the resources to investigate this problem. Multiple OBS broadcasts have been run at the correct rate since then. We are now using a HDMI to USB adapter to feed OBS and by-pass the Teradek. It is a good excuse to upgrade to OBS.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”