Money out of wrong years budget.

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jasonlesliewright

Money out of wrong years budget.

Post by jasonlesliewright »

We set a deadline this past year for everyone to have expenses in by December 30. We got them all entered and approved before the year ended. Looking at this years budget, we have about 8 expenses that show up as coming out on January 1. When I click on the actual expense it shows dates ranging from December 18-December 30. Nothing has a date after December 30 yet they are all coming out of this years budget. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Money out of wrong years budget.

Post by russellhltn »

You can try and contact support, but I'm not sure what they can do.

Were all the approvals (EFT) or checks printed and sent/received in 2020?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jasonlesliewright

Post by jasonlesliewright »

They are all EFT's and as of right now they all say Pending Execution in the EFT Status. I don't know how long that takes to process but we were told that as long as everything was in and approved by December 31st we should be good. Apparently the stake encouraged some auxiliaries to spend the rest of their budgets before the end of the year so as we sit one of the auxiliaries has spend 30% of their 2021 budget. I just opened a ticket with church support to see if they can help.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Your stake leaders may have been misquoted, since they are probably aware of 34.7.2.2: "Unneeded budget allowance funds should not be spent. Unneeded ward funds are returned to the stake." Your stake leaders may have said something innocent, encouraging auxiliaries to spend their budget on the activities and plans they had for 2020.

But all this really does not matter. The money you did not "spend" for 2020 was probably rolled over to your 2021 ward budget. You can certainly adjust your 2021 budget now to add that extra money to the budget category that appears to be 30% spent. Your bottom line has not changed. No harm, no foul.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
waltbristow

Post by waltbristow »

Stakes handle 'unspent' budget funds differently. I've seen some let wards/branches keep those funds. Some stakes take it back (usually after talking with the unit to find out if there is a specific use for those funds). And some stakes - after determining whether there is a legitimate reason to retain any of the funds at the stake level - return the funds to the Church.

What I take from the the examples I've seen is that the Church gives stake presidents a lot of discretion in what to do with unspent budget funds.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

waltbristow wrote:Stakes handle 'unspent' budget funds differently. I've seen some let wards/branches keep those funds.
True. The default is for the wards to remain the money. However, it will not carry over into the Budget (spending plan) for the following year. The carry over is in the allocation.

For any other result, someone has to make it happen. Hopefully they'll communicate what's happening when the do that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”