OTHER funds allocated to a specific natural disaster

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rjamesh77

OTHER funds allocated to a specific natural disaster

Post by rjamesh77 »

Stake Clerk here. One of our units has several hundred dollars in an OTHER account that was intended to provide donations to a specific natural disaster that occured 2+ years ago. Those funds are just collecting dust at this point. What is the best course of action at this point with the primary goals being (1) zero that account and (2) direct those funds to some sort of humanitarian relief, if possible? Thanks to all for any guidance provided.
eblood66

Re: OTHER funds allocated to a specific natural disaster

Post by eblood66 »

According to the Help Center article The "Other" Category (under Policies and Principles) funds must be used only for the purpose they are collected for and that any funds collected but not used should be returned to the donors. So if they can identify the donors they should return the funds. In the past this document said that if the funds couldn't be returned to the donor then they should be turned over to CHQ but that text is no longer in the article. So you will probably need to contact the Global Service Department for guidance on the right way to deal with the funds if they can't be spent for the specific purpose collected and they can't be returned.
rjamesh77

Post by rjamesh77 »

Thanks!
waltbristow

Post by waltbristow »

Although the Help Center article does not have the language about how to handle unused funds, the Wiki article at https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/wi ... r_category still does. I have long ago given up on trying to track changes in Church procedures (or reconciling differences between web pages). I still prefer the 'return the money' if possible principle. It may require some work to track down donors and to determine whose money was used and whose was not. When it's not possible, local priesthood leaders can often provide guidance. When they can't they can follow the chain up for advice. The Global Service Desk may be able to help -- or at least provide guidance on what current Church policy really is.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If it was me, and returning the funds would be really difficult, I think I'd be tempted to transfer what couldn't be returned it to Humanitarian Aid. My thought being that it wouldn't be much different than using funds intended for a specific activity in a different year. At least that would be closer to the intent than returning or transferring to CHQ.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”