Live video feed of baptismal ordinance

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
sptreimer

Re: Live video feed of baptismal ordinance

Post by sptreimer »

Live video feed of baptismal ordinance isn't four years old. I've read the May letter 2020 and that is where the quote comes from why suggest otherwise?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

sptreimer wrote:Live video feed of baptismal ordinance isn't four years old. I've read the May letter 2020 and that is where the quote comes from why suggest otherwise?
To the latter question, my guess is that was based on the posts in this thread from 2014 and 2016. Regardless of what instructions may or may not have existed in earlier years, current instructions are to be followed.
KathleenLewisFamily

Post by KathleenLewisFamily »

I was told there are newq regulations for video and film and pictures were aloud at baptism EXCEPT the actual dunking which is the actual ordinance itself. I was told this has to do woth church change and many non members who attend these events. Anyway I can't find anything other than in the handbook. Does anyone have any newer information than what I was told yesterday never was aloud.l - No video photos at the font.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

KathleenLewisFamily wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:00 am I was told there are newq regulations for video and film and pictures were aloud at baptism EXCEPT the actual dunking which is the actual ordinance itself. I was told this has to do woth church change and many non members who attend these events. Anyway I can't find anything other than in the handbook. Does anyone have any newer information than what I was told yesterday never was aloud.l - No video photos at the font.
I haven't heard about anything new, but looking in the Handbook, I'm not seeing where the baptism ordinance itself can't be streamed. I know it used to be prohibited.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

General Handbook, 38.2.3, addresses streaming ordinances. It states the bishop may authorize the streaming of baptisms. However, there are limitations and restrictions outlined in that section. Section 38.2.2 address photographs and recordings of ordinances and blessings. It states "Ordinances and blessings are sacred. For this reason, no one should take photographs or make video recordings of ordinances, blessings, or baptismal services." Baptismal services include the ordinance of baptism, confirmation, gift of the Holy Ghost, and a blessing which definitely should not be recorded. Any further questions should follow the guidance in General Handbook, 0.4.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

KathleenLewisFamily wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:00 am I was told there are newq regulations for video and film and pictures ...
It's also helpful to remember that there's differences between streaming and recording. Sometimes members mix up the two, and determine that since streaming something is allowed, then recording that same thing must also be allowed. The Handbook makes a distinction between streaming and recording in the references mentioned by @jdlessley. They also clarify that if the process of livestreaming an ordinance also saves an electronic copy, that copy should be removed within one day.

Return to “General Discussions”