Webcast Encoder URL update - Release Notes

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
studerje

Re: Webcast Encoder URL update - Release Notes

Post by studerje »

russellhltn wrote:Interesting. It's doing that for my stake's page as well. Apparently a bit of code is pulling from the wrong source.

I'd submit feedback - perhaps using the link on the main church page.
I got a private message from Bart asking for more details and I provided it to him.
studerje

Post by studerje »

chapmanjec wrote:Wow! In October we brought in a brand-new Teradek, updated the firmware (because that's normal for embedded things) and I've been fighting failing autoconfig for months. It's never worked. This morning I'll try rolling ours down to the 3.0.7/8, then will return and report.
@chapmanjec curious if the firmware rollback fixed your issues.
chapmanjec

Post by chapmanjec »

I rolled down to 3.07 and discovered that the suggested build is partially based on Flash, which happily/sadly has gone away.

One problem I had during the rollback process is that I couldn't find, for the life of me, the address from where Teradek was supposed to pull the config.xml file. Seems that the church backend UI used to show that, but now it's gone away. Or maybe I'm just dumb. I looked in all the obvious places, plus some obscure ones, with no luck. So I ran the meeting without any issue, and simply used entirely manual settings.

After the meeting, I re-flashed the Teradek Pro to 3.1.12 which is current. I'm somewhat resigned to doing manual setups for now. We have three recurring meetings in this building, and sadly the broadcast addresses aren't the same. It's something like stake0... vs stake2... blah blah blah, so I can't even leave the settings be for all three wards.

Worth noting that the recommended firmware, 3.07, was released in August 2018, which is an eternity ago in the embedded and security world. @Tech in your prodigious spare time, it's probably worth supporting their current build.
softco

Post by softco »

Quick semi-unrelated question...

The email that linked to this thread had this statement at the end:
"General Reminders:
- Local units are encouraged to use Zoom webinar for sacrament meetings and the Church's webcast system for stake conferences."

I've noticed that two other posters mentioned they were streaming sacrament meetings. That's what I'm doing, too. Zoom is way too problematic for sacrament, and the 720P limitation of the Church's system makes YouTube Live preferred for Stake Conferences.

We like supporting the Church's service whenever possible, but is it a burdensome expense? Should we switch to YouTube for all our broadcasts?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

softco wrote:Should we switch to YouTube for all our broadcasts?
I'm in the process of doing exactly that for our stake. Our worship service Zoom webinars had the HD 720P settings switched on and the audio processing off, but still suffered from obvious bandwidth limitations by Zoom. These included low frame rate (10-15fps?) and audio that sounded like music on hold over a poor VOIP connection. Fortunately, those speaking from the pulpit were intelligible, but anything musical was unacceptable.

I'm in the process of documenting what our stake is doing with YouTube Live and will start a new topic when it's ready. Thanks to some recent changes put in place by YouTube, the whole process was actually much simpler than I anticipated - and I've been using YT Live since before it was available for the masses.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
armistej

Post by armistej »

chapmanjec wrote:Hi! It's Wednesday at noon Mountain time. I've tried spinning up a couple sample meetings with these new settings, and my Teradek won't connect. "Address not found." I get similar errors on Teradek's webpage and its front panel display.

From another machine on a totally separate network, ping fails:

MACHINE:~ johnchapman$ ping rtmp://lehiutahgatewaystake2.mhwebcast.churchofjesuschrist.org/169P/242654db2f3d46a1b
ping: cannot resolve rtmp://lehiutahgatewaystake2.mhwebcast.churchofjesuschrist.org/169P/242654db2f3d46a1b: Unknown host

Traceroute, too, because of length I assume:

MACHINE:~ johnchapman$ traceroute rtmp://lehiutahgatewaystake2.mhwebcast.churchofjesuschrist.org/169P/242654db2f3d46a1b
traceroute: hostname "rtmp://lehiutahgatewaystake2.mhw..." is too long

This fails too:

MACHINE:~ johnchapman$ traceroute rtmp://lehiutahgatewaystake2.mhwebcast.churchofjesuschrist.org
traceroute: unknown host rtmp://lehiutahgatewaystake2.mhwebcast.churchofjesuschrist.org

Maybe DNS still hasn't propagated?

It looks like you are passing the entire RTMP URL to the ping or tracert command.

You should only pass the host portion, i.e. the portion after "rtmp://" until the first slash "/"

Using the very first ping command as my example, you just needed to type "ping lehiutahgatewaystake2.mhwebcast.churchofjesuschrist.org"

I did try that now, and it didn't work. Maybe that's because of a typo, or because you've changed the encoder URL since then.
armistej

Post by armistej »

bretbassett wrote:On February 17, the church released a new update. This update is designed to simplify the use of encoding devices when holding multiple meetings in the same building on a recurring basis.
The Event Attendance Report feature is a nice extra, but it lacks usability.

What I would like to see is the ability to not just report the number of users who connected, but also their names and to do this over a specified time period (at the moment such details are only available on a per-event basis). This would aid ward/stake clerks in tracking attendance at Webcast events. My ward clerk would like to get a report of all the families who have attended since we started webcasting back in October 2020, but the only way to do that is to literally go back one-by-one through all the events and look at each individual one.

This doesn't have to be a "fancy" report. As long as it gave the basics of the meeting date/time, and details of the Congregation and Individual users, with each receiver on a separate line to make it easy and a total somewhere (preferably alphabetically sorted).

e.g.

Event: XYZ Ward Sacrament meeting held 2021-02-28 at 9am

Total congregation sites: 0

<no sites listed, since it was 0>

Total individual sites: 30

Adams
Jones
Smith

If you wanted to get fancier, you could include the first connection time, last connection time and total connected time for each receiving site (which might require a table format) and add the ability to export as CSV for import into Excel, etc.

This would make the reporting infinitely more usable.
jacob59s

Post by jacob59s »

I just received the calling over the stake technology and I am trying to create a wecast. When i try and create an Encoder URL it gives me an error. Any ideas?
tikalvideo

Post by tikalvideo »

Hi guys! I’m curious if there’s any design for translators to push multiple audio sources through the webcasts? Is that a thing we can activate? We are Miami Florida and we need multi language in each session and right now we rely on zoom to assist but that means we take the webcast and recast it through zoom which is just unnecessary if we had multiple audio streams available in the actual webcast. Is it easy to turn on? Thank you!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

tikalvideo wrote:I’m curious if there’s any design for translators to push multiple audio sources through the webcasts?
The Church webcast system, which is going away next year, takes and sends out one audio channel. If you wish to send out two languages, you need two methods of encoding and two different webcasts.

We use Zoom for the interpreting and invite the non-English language to join the Zoom webinar. We push the webinar out onto the Church webcast system (that will change) and invite the English speakers to watch and listen there.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”