Annual ward history template?

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
davesudweeks

Re: ward history template?

Postby davesudweeks » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:40 pm

jspalmer1 wrote:Does anyone have a Ward History template that they can share?

I can send you examples from some I have put together (I sent you a PM). Since every year is different, I didn't use a standardized template - I would begin each one from scratch. I would write about 1-2 pages of general ward events (births, leadership changes, missionaries, deaths, etc) from the clerk's perspective and ask each organization to provide something from their perspective. Some would provide write-ups that I would include and I didn't worry about any ward organization who didn't participate. I would send the request to the organization heads and then a single reminder a few weeks later.

scottdavidanderson

Re: Annual ward history template?

Postby scottdavidanderson » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:15 am

I am not sure if you have seen the samples the church has on their website. Here is a link in case you haven’t seen them. I have never put together a history before so I was looking for some help as well. Maybe this will get you started:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/cal ... e?lang=eng

davesudweeks

Postby davesudweeks » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:52 pm

scottdavidanderson wrote:I am not sure if you have seen the samples the church has on their website. Here is a link in case you haven’t seen them. I have never put together a history before so I was looking for some help as well. Maybe this will get you started:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/cal ... e?lang=eng

This is a great suggestion. Examples were not available when I was first called as ward clerk so came up with my own format that I used over the years.

ryanmercer

Postby ryanmercer » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:29 am

Would anyone feel comfortable sharing an example of a "good" ward history with me?

I was made ward clerk this past Sunday, the history is already overdue and the only other calling I've ever had in 15 years is EQ secretary. I asked our stake history person for a copy of the 2019 and she provided it and then told me it was inadequate and unacceptable and didn't meet the minimum requirements and that I need to have the 2020 one to her by the end of the month in an acceptable state. The 2019 one she sent, I'll agree, is not good... it's not even a few paragraphs.

davesudweeks

Postby davesudweeks » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:23 am

ryanmercer wrote:Would anyone feel comfortable sharing an example of a "good" ward history with me?

I was made ward clerk this past Sunday, the history is already overdue and the only other calling I've ever had in 15 years is EQ secretary. I asked our stake history person for a copy of the 2019 and she provided it and then told me it was inadequate and unacceptable and didn't meet the minimum requirements and that I need to have the 2020 one to her by the end of the month in an acceptable state. The 2019 one she sent, I'll agree, is not good... it's not even a few paragraphs.

I sent you a PM. If you will send me your email address (to the address in the PM), I'll send you some examples I have done in past years. I won't guarantee they are "good enough" for your stake history person, but I never received any negative feedback from our stake on mine.

I hope you love the clerk calling as much as I did.

Dave Sudweeks
(artist formerly known as Elm Creek Ward Clerk)

ryanmercer

Postby ryanmercer » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:09 pm

Thanks, email inbound!

davesudweeks

Postby davesudweeks » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:13 pm

ryanmercer wrote:Thanks, email inbound!

Samples sent. Best of luck since you have a short suspense on this task.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”