Adding ward's High Council representative to private calendar?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Adding ward's High Council representative to private calendar?

Post by russellhltn »

chriswirick wrote:Perhaps the Church should add Stake High Council Representative to the list of available ward callings just for this type of scenario.
Youi can suggest that in feedback. No one here can make that happen.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
chriswirick

Post by chriswirick »

Hi all, despite trying these suggestions I have still been unsuccessful getting our High Council representative access to our private Bishopric calendar. We added him as an out-of-ward member, so we can see him on our list. We tried assigning him a generic calling (Elders Quorum Service Committee Member) but he still doesn't show up in the name search box in the calendar settings, nor can he view the calendar if we add that calling to the calendar. So my Ward Clerk created a custom calling in the Bishopric organization called "Advisor" but he still doesn't show up by name, nor does the custom calling show up in the search box under Calling. I really, really need to make this work. Any other ideas?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

In my experience, high councilor assignments change too frequently to make this sort of arrangement feasible. If a high councilor needs to know when bishopric meetings or ward council meetings are held, it is usually best to inform him using other means. Our stake executive secretary attempts to maintain a document that contains all high council assignments, as well as all ward leadership meetings throughout the stake. But even that document requires a lot of care and feeding.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Has your ward high council representative gone to the Calendar program and selected the calendar in the Choose Calendars link? If he has not selected (subscribed to) the calendar he will not see it.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
chriswirick

Post by chriswirick »

jdlessley wrote:Has your ward high council representative gone to the Calendar program and selected the calendar in the Choose Calendars link? If he has not selected (subscribed to) the calendar he will not see it.
He can't see the Bishopric calendar in the lists of available calendars in order to select it. It's still invisible to him.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

chriswirick wrote:I really, really need to make this work.
It appears you've done everything you can do. Even if your request is considered, the assignments will likely change before it's ever implemented.

I think you're stuck finding another method.

Is the meetings not on a regular schedule that it can't be communicated (example: every second Sunday) with a email for exceptions?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
chriswirick

Post by chriswirick »

russellhltn wrote:
chriswirick wrote:I really, really need to make this work.
Is the meetings not on a regular schedule that it can't be communicated (example: every second Sunday) with a email for exceptions?
Generally yes, but we're trying to avoid using email to communicate date/time-based events. We'd prefer everything show up on each individual calendar to avoid the confusion that inevitable arises when you send out meeting notifications via email/text.
chriswirick

Post by chriswirick »

Just as an FYI to someone else who may stumble across this thread and have the same question: it appears it's currently impossible to do this with the current calendar system. I've submitted a request to the Church to perhaps upgrade the system to allow stake-wide permission searching/adding by name to enable us to include out-of-ward members on in-ward private calendars. In addition to the High Council representative, I'm sure there are some other stake callings that may fall into this dilemma. Seems this could literally be solved with a line or two of code, opening the Name search box in the private calendar settings to members stake-wide rather than restricting it to in-ward member names.

As a last resort, I will request that my stake create a private calendar for our ward Bishopric at the stake level, which I hope will eliminate the problem with adding our High Councilman to the calendar.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

chriswirick wrote:As a last resort, I will request that my stake create a private calendar for our ward Bishopric at the stake level, which I hope will eliminate the problem with adding our High Councilman to the calendar.
If I remember correctly you will not be able to add editors/viewers by Ward calling if you go this route, only Stake Callings are available at the stake level. You will need to maintain permissions by Individual.
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
chriswirick

Post by chriswirick »

kd7mha wrote:
chriswirick wrote:As a last resort, I will request that my stake create a private calendar for our ward Bishopric at the stake level, which I hope will eliminate the problem with adding our High Councilman to the calendar.
If I remember correctly you will not be able to add editors/viewers by Ward calling if you go this route, only Stake Callings are available at the stake level. You will need to maintain permissions by Individual.
Right, I assumed that. Better to have to deal with managing the calendar permissions by name than not be able to do it at all.

Return to “Calendar”