Transfer Mission Funds Received for a Specific Missionary after he left the Ward

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mottjonathan

Transfer Mission Funds Received for a Specific Missionary after he left the Ward

Post by mottjonathan »

We received a donation of $800 for a specific missionary after his financial responsibility was transferred to his new ward. Our Stake Clerk basically said there is nothing we can do, but that seems kind of weird since the kid is still serving. Can someone help me know where to go for a definitive answer?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Transfer Mission Funds Received for a Specific Missionary after he left the Ward

Post by lajackson »

mottjonathan wrote:Our Stake Clerk basically said there is nothing we can do
You might try calling the Missionary Department and see if they will transfer the funds. This may not work because the transfer of financial responsibility has already taken place.

Your other option is to write a check and send it to the new ward. You should have that information from when the membership record moved out.

If by chance the new ward is still in your stake, you can do an electronic transfer, but I do not believe that is possible if the ward is not in your stake.
Biggles

Re: Transfer Mission Funds Received for a Specific Missionary after he left the Ward

Post by Biggles »

It is possible to transfer Missionary Funds to another Ward, in the same country. I believe all that is required is either the new unit number and/or name to proceed. Plus the name of the missionary. This is done in LCR>Finances>Transfers. You might have to experiment with the To option to find the right option! This is certainly an option in the UK.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

According to the help page in the Help Center wards can transfer funds for activities to any unit in the same country but ward missionary funds can only be transferred to units in the same stake or district. However, stakes can transfer ward missionary funds to any unit. So a transfer could be made by first to the stake and then on to the other ward. I think it only allows you to transfer to the top level ward missionary fund (at least that's the only option I saw when I started to enter a transfer) so you would definitely need to contact the other ward and let them know what missionary the transfer was intended for.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”