replacement for Flash-based interactive music player?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
perdman

replacement for Flash-based interactive music player?

Post by perdman »

As of January 12th, Adobe has blocked all Flash content from running in Flash player. Most browsers (including my own) will no longer allow Flash to run.

For years I've relied on the wonderful Flash-based Interactive music player on LDS.org to quickly transpose hymns. But sadly it is no longer available. Now, when I visit https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/music/library/hymns all I get is the MP3 audio playback and PDF-based sheetmusic display. There are no options for transposition, so I'm required to spend a lot more time doing the transpositions myself.

Will a non-flash alternative be developed that brings back this functionality?

Is there some place else I need to ask this question in order to get an answer?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: replacement for Flash-based interactive music player?

Post by rmrichesjr »

Using the 'Feedback' link or button is the best way to get the issue raised to those who make development decisions.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

When our unit was limited to only having virtual sacrament meetings, we also used the Flash music player, to show the words and also play the music (with singing) at the same time. Testing it out now, it seems like the main page you linked allows you to play the hymns with the singing accompaniment, but when clicking a particular hymn to display the words, the music player only does the instrument but not the singing. I'm not surprised this ended up happening, but I'm sure a number of people will miss it for a variety of reasons.
headybr

Post by headybr »

rmrichesjr wrote:Using the 'Feedback' link or button is the best way to get the issue raised to those who make development decisions.
I've never gotten a response from anybody on the Feedback link I think that link goes to a bit bucket blackhole. It's possible that CHQ doesn't make website design decisions based on individual member feedback (unless they're specifically requesting it).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

headybr wrote:
rmrichesjr wrote:Using the 'Feedback' link or button is the best way to get the issue raised to those who make development decisions.
I've never gotten a response from anybody on the Feedback link I think that link goes to a bit bucket blackhole. It's possible that CHQ doesn't make website design decisions based on individual member feedback (unless they're specifically requesting it).
Not getting a response is quite common. But rest assured your feedback was routed to the individual, group, team, committee, or department with responsible oversight or sponsorship. The only thing we know at this time is that a replacement for the tool is in the works. But we seldom get any indication of the progress or timeline. It just shows up. Usually the first to see the solution are those in the beta tester group.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lbateman70

Post by lbateman70 »

I, too, went looking today for this feature (Interactive Music Player) and was so disappointed to find it no longer active. I hope a replacement is coming soon!
kmwood86

Post by kmwood86 »

I used the interactive music player ALL the time!!! :'''''''(
EdD.

Post by EdD. »

I have been a grateful user of the interactive player. I add my voice to the many who would like to use it again. Hopefully there is a way to develop a replacement that does not rely on Flash.
rickmartell

Post by rickmartell »

Just want to add another vote for bringing back the feature that allows for automatically transposing the music. I was hoping to use it to put together an instrumental Mother's Day medley and was disappointed to see it's no longer there.

Thanks,

Rick Martell
Baltimore, Maryland
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Please keep in mind that this is (only) a user-to-user discussion forum. Nobody with any influence over development decision is likely to ever see this thread. If you want your suggestions to be taken into consideration, please use the 'Feedback' link or button.

Return to “General Discussions”