Webcast Sound Problem for Some

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
rknelson

Re: Webcast Sound Problem for Some

Post by rknelson »

russellhltn wrote:The result is a transformer isolated mono (tip and ring) output. I'd say the real issue is that they didn't use the right jack.
The "How-to Guide for Meetinghouse Webcast 3.0" says Vidiu Audio Settings should be "Analog" , "Stereo", "Line", Left Mute "Off", Right Mute "Off". That does not match the cabling they installed and connected to our Vidiu in the sound system installed in December 2020. There are many versions of sound systems. Ours is based on BLU 100 DSP Mixers with Extron HD (HDMI) video distribution and a Lumens 3G-SDI video camera.

What bothers me most is they are effectively sending a balanced (differential) signal connected across Left and Right. When you sum left and right to produce a mono signal you get .... theoretically nothing.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rknelson wrote:The "How-to Guide for Meetinghouse Webcast 3.0" says Vidiu Audio Settings should be "Analog" , "Stereo", "Line", Left Mute "Off", Right Mute "Off". That does not match the cabling they installed and connected to our Vidiu in the sound system installed in December 2020.
The documentation also suggests using an external mixer.

Either way, that 3.5mm jack isn't "Teradek ready" and requires some kind of adaption. I'll add that many jacks were installed long before the Teradek came along, and configured for a specific church-supplied cassette recorder. Where is the jack you're using? I think in many cases the vision was to have the Teradek installed in the rack using the AVDH-1 with a feed from the sound system, not using the record out jack by the podium.
rknelson wrote:What bothers me most is they are effectively sending a balanced (differential) signal connected across Left and Right. When you sum left and right to produce a mono signal you get .... theoretically nothing.
It's unusual on a 3.5mm jack, but pretty common on a 1/4" jack. The real issue is failure to communicate what the connection is. I can think of 5 different but valid 3.5mm pinouts.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rknelson

Post by rknelson »

The Teradek was connected by the install team as part of the install. The specific plans from Spectrum Engineers for this building install state on the second page:

"FM group Responsibilities ... Locate/provide Teradek Vidiu webcast encoder to AV contractor @ start of installation."

And then on sheet 9:

"1. Install patch-in & setup owner furnished LDS webcast encoder."

I agree there are many ways to wire a 1/4" jack, but this was a 3.5mm jack specifically engineered for and connected by the contractor to the Teradek Vidiu.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rknelson wrote:but this was a 3.5mm jack specifically engineered for and connected by the contractor to the Teradek Vidiu.
Seems like they didn't have the correct specs for what was needed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

We now have the newest audio/video upgrades in our stake center and doing some test runs with the Teradek brought a few things to light. There was a 3.5mm audio jack connected to our Teradek, but I had no idea the audio level the rack was providing. I started with the Teradek set to Line Level and adjusted the audio sliders as follows:

-24dB - barely perceptible audio
0 dB - Very slightly improved
+20dB - Very weak
+40dB - Still way too low

Switched the Teradek to Mic Level and retested.
-24dB - About like +40dB at Line Level
0dB - A bit soft, but much improved
+20 dB - Best so far - strong volume without [noticeable] distortion
+40dB - Too hot

BTW, there IS a way to adjust the volume level on the Teradek while it's broadcasting. There are no VU indicators, so you're shooting blind, but here's how:
1. While webcasting, the regular Settings link is not available; however, you can still navigate to it at http://192.168.108.20/#settings (using your device's IP address).
2. Once there, open the Audio/Video settings.
3. In the audio portion, move the sliders higher or lower. (Note, you won't hear any audio change yet.)
4. Press APPLY. NOW the audio level will reflect the new slider position.

As far as I can tell, this does NOT affect the live stream, except for having a new audio level.
Thyratronman

Post by Thyratronman »

If you use the Vidiu App on your phone, it monitors the Teradek and had audio vu meters on the side of the screen to check level.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Thyratronman wrote:If you use the Vidiu App on your phone, it monitors the Teradek and had audio vu meters on the side of the screen to check level.
That's how I've done it. You can even have the VidiU set up as a AP, so you can access it. But make sure you put a password on the AP, because for sure someone looking for free WiFi will try to connect to it.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Thyratronman wrote:If you use the Vidiu App...
The same 2.4-star app that has 3x as many 1-star reviews as 5-star? I'll pass. After much studying & reading, I bought a different encoder with my SP's blessing. I'll let others know if it's a keeper, or gets returned.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”