Balances tab of Financial Statement

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jsorens6

Balances tab of Financial Statement

Post by jsorens6 »

On the new balances tab on the financial statement that we have to sign off on there is now an Action Item for us titled Returned Missionaries with A Balance.

Both of the returned missionaries listed have not been in our ward for many years and both notifications are now 9 years old according to the date on them. One has a small positive balance (underpaid I assume) and the other has a large negative balance (overpaid I assume?). Neither missionary is listed in the Unit Subcategory to even begin to attempt to clear them out.

Any suggestions on how to clear the action item?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Balances tab of Financial Statement

Post by jdlessley »

jsorens6 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:15 pmAny suggestions on how to clear the action item?

There is nothing you can do. Call the Global Services Department (GSD) for help. If it is a programming bug they can get the ticket started.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jsorens6

Post by jsorens6 »

jdlessley wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:27 pm
jsorens6 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:15 pmAny suggestions on how to clear the action item?

There is nothing you can do. Call the Global Services Department (GSD) for help. If it is a programming bug they can get the ticket started.
Called today, thanks! They were unfamiliar with the all of it, so we'll see what they come up with.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Checking our Financial Statement today and seeing the same Action item, as the OP. The last missionary returned in January this year and cleared the balance within 2 months. The two other missionaries finished their missions in September 2019. Their family had moved back to New Zealand prior to this and took financial responsibility with them.
I annotated the report that I suspected that this was a system generated error. The financial section in LCR has been having issues over the last week or so. Maybe the issue we are having is connected to this? I’m about to call the GSC myself to report the issue!
Contacted the GSC and it appears there are several reports of this issue. The service representative also felt that it was most likely a system error. She is going to keep me posted!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Since this was first reported this issue showed up in our unit financial statement. Support told me that it is a known issue and the problem is being worked on.

In our unit situation the missionary was not in our ward and the account balance was as of more than eight years ago. I checked with unit leaders who where in the ward back then and they could confirm the missionary was never in our ward. This was helpful for the support people in looking up the data and then getting the issue to the programmers.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

There have been more than the usual amount of time consuming and disruptive known issues lately in various areas of LCR. There in a saying in military intelligence that once is chance, twice is a coincidence, third time is a pattern (or enemy action).

Is the cause hardware, software, budget, management, programming, or a combination of more than one of these areas, or perhaps some other factor?
barneja

Post by barneja »

We have the same issue - one missionary I had taken care of the previous month so I assume there is a bit of a lag - however, the previous 7 were from between 5-9 years ago. I can settle the accounts, but the missionaries no longer show up on my reports. Is this a real balance due/payable or is it fictitious? Anyone find a solution yet?
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

barneja wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:47 am We have the same issue - one missionary I had taken care of the previous month so I assume there is a bit of a lag - however, the previous 7 were from between 5-9 years ago. I can settle the accounts, but the missionaries no longer show up on my reports. Is this a real balance due/payable or is it fictitious? Anyone find a solution yet?
If you read my post #4 above, especially the last paragraph this explains that this is a known issue. In effect the items we are all seeing, at the moment, are fiction. In the meantime the relevant people have been made aware. We will have to be patient and hopefully some form of explanation will be forthcoming.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

I’ve just had feedback from the GSC that confirms what we suspected that there is a glitch in the system causing the issue. The missionary department is working on it!
joshuaaa

Returned Missionaries with a Balance - From 8 Years Ago

Post by joshuaaa »

When my Bishop logs into LCR, he has a notification that there are "Returned Missionaries with a Balance".

There are a number of returned missionaries listed from 2013-2016. Some have positive balances, some have negative balances. Unfortunately, the sum of the 7 accounts is negative $3,910.

Since I am the financial clerk, He sent me a screen shot and asked me to figure out what needs to be done.

The first issues is that I cannot figure out how (in LCR) to get the same information the he sees. I can see recent missionaries with balances, but not legacy missionaries (for lack of a better term). Next time I am at the church, I'll check MLS to see if I can find these missionary accounts.

The second question, is what do we do about these balances? If I can find the accounts, then I can transfer the positive balance to other missionaries, but what about the negative balances? One of them is for negative $3,400 from 2016 for a missionary from a family who moved out of our ward before I moved in. I suspect that the new ward didn't take over the account. Am I supposed to track down the ward into which the family moved, and see if they will take over the negative balance? If so, is there a way to search LCR/MLS for people who used to live in the ward, or should I just ask around and see if anyone has their contact information?

Has anyone else had to deal with old missionary accounts popping back up?

Thanks.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”