Installation of new M70Q ThinkCentre computers for Ward Clerks.

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
retiredtech

Installation of new M70Q ThinkCentre computers for Ward Clerks.

Post by retiredtech »

Just received a shipment of replacement computers for the wards in my stake. They are the newer model M70q ThinkCentre models. First thing is the new models do not have a VGA adapter so none of them can be installed without a HDMI to VGA adapters. Beside the HDMI port they also have a DisplayPort connector.
I decided to do an install on one ward here at home, as I've done in the past, but ran into some problems. I followed the routine that has been given us in the past filling out the necessary parameters. Then the cpu went through several reboots after downloading office software and then a final reboot left just a Windows 10 screen of the "open cave to the ocean". Pressing the enter key brought up 2 sign on's. One with the Unit number and another with the ID of "dandc 89". The Unit log-in required a password change so I left it alone. The other ID must have belonged to the person who loaded the initial church code onto the computer. I don't know which password they want on the Unit log-in? Is it the ward Clerk, ward financial clerk, Bishop etc. So as this point I cannot go on until I get some help.

Since this is Labor Day weekend I will most likely have to wait until Tuesday to get some help from the support center.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Installation of new M70Q ThinkCentre computers for Ward Clerks.

Post by russellhltn »

retiredtech wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:52 pm I don't know which password they want on the Unit log-in? Is it the ward Clerk, ward financial clerk, Bishop etc.
Last I knew, there was just a "unit" login shared by all in the unit.

You can find instructions in the help center.

Out of curiosity, do the new computers have solid-state drives, or regular spinning drives?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Set an easy password for the unit and instruct them to change it right away. This will allow you to finish transferring the data from their old PC. As an STS, I also create a "StakeAdmin" Windows login so I have access for general maintenance and in case a unit gets locked out.

BTW, the DandC89 login is for church support.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Mikerowaved wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:17 amBTW, the DandC89 login is for church support.

Once the computer has had an opportunity to connect to headquarters and get the latest updates the DandC89 account should have been removed and replaced with a Church Support account.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

When you ran the provisioning tool, the DandC89 login should have gone away. If it did not, you might download the current provisioning tool from the Help Center and run it again, if you are not already too far along that you do not mind starting over.
retiredtech

Post by retiredtech »

After creating a new clerk password the system came up and started the downloads which took about 2 hours. After the completion and rebooting the system came up with 3 log-ins: 1. The unit login. 2. the dandc89 and 3. Other user. The dandc89 did not go away as talked about earlier. The new "other user" requires an email address and password. I'm not ready to put my personal email address in there as the STS. This new M70Q model and configuration seems to have several different changes as opposed to the on-line setup instructions. Otherwise it seems to be ready to swap out the old computer unless I get further instructions on some changes.
This new CPU has a 256GB SSD in it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

retiredtech wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:14 am The dandc89 did not go away as talked about earlier.
Give it time. Some other updates may need to kick in first.

You might want to check the services and see if BES Client Helper is there.

Glad to hear they're doing SSDs now.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

derrickfulkerson

Post by derrickfulkerson »

I am glad I found this because I was able to bring the right DVI to HDMI cable with me on a recent setup. Saved me a trip!

Return to “Clerk Computers”