replacement for Flash-based interactive music player?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
sbenboy

Re: replacement for Flash-based interactive music player?

Post by sbenboy »

So sad. I was really needing to transpose "I am a Child of God"...
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

sbenboy wrote:So sad. I was really needing to transpose "I am a Child of God"...
If you can afford the time to do it, one option would be to enter the music into a musical notation program that can then do the transposing for you. With a bit of practice, the free-to-use open source program called MuseScore aka MScore is available for a variety of operating systems. With a little practice, it's fairly quick to enter a simple melody--especially with keyboard shortcuts. It can also handle very complex music.
orellanalili

Post by orellanalili »

I have found something useful in: https://hymnary.org/

For example to play "Count your blesings" they show an interactive music player. It doesn't have all but it is something :)
https://my.hymnary.org/song/dynamic/229 ... oviostatic

I'm sure that they are working in a new tool.
Adobe is the one who retired flash, not the technical service of the Church hehehe :D

PD: Sorry for my bad english.
tonybrigmon

Post by tonybrigmon »

Please return the interactive music player. That's how I rehearse my parts. Thank you.
choicehealthclinic@gmail.com

Post by choicehealthclinic@gmail.com »

I wish the lds interactive music player was still around. Please bring it baaack!
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

choicehealthclinic@gmail.com wrote:I wish the lds interactive music player was still around. Please bring it baaack!
Removing it was not driven by the church - it was flash-based and Adobe took flash out of circulation, which broke the app. I have read elsewhere that a non-flash replacement is in development but no one has given any timeline of when it might be available. The church has a very small development group (as I understand from other posts on the forum - no special knowledge on my part). All we can do is be patient. I'm sure those who direct the developer's priorities are well aware of the desire for this to be made available again, but there are likely lots of projects on the plate and many may be more urgent than this one.
tuutau

Post by tuutau »

I'm complained with the feedback and got this response:

Changing the key or playing different parts of a hymn is no longer available due to the lack of Adobe Flash support. Flash is no longer being supported by Apple iOS, Google Chrome, or by Adobe itself. With newer technologies, we hope to soon update the new media player to provide those same features as before.

Thank you and have a blessed day!

Response Team
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

You should take a look at this post.
ldswebsite

Post by ldswebsite »

Hi, I, too, was looking for the interactive music player and it IS available at least for A Mighty Fortress. ;-) From the Hymns page https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/mus ... d?lang=eng there is a link in tiny print below the hymn, "Want to switch to the interactive music player?" with a link to the right. Clicking on that takes me to the hymn with the options to adjust the key, change the tempo, and adjust the part volumes. https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/mus ... Flash=true

I am using Windows 10 and Firefox if that matters. I hope this helps someone!
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

That must be a new player using something other than Flash. Unless somebody slipped in something behind the scenes, the Flash player plugin is way past end-of-life from Adobe and has not been available since approx. December 12, 2020.

I'm using Firefox ESR on Linux with plain ALSA, and it works but sounds very choppy, as if the audio stream is getting tons of Xruns. The result is similar for a few other hymns, too.

Return to “General Discussions”