Streaming General Conference

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
Booshway

Streaming General Conference

Post by Booshway »

Is there a specific or recommended URL for streaming General Conference at a meeting house? Satellite is gone in my area, so we are doing it through the web in our stake center; however, the main church website would not let us roll over from one session to the next. It seemed like it would timeout and stop in the most inconvenient times; No, it was not a computer or internet problem.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Streaming General Conference

Post by russellhltn »

Last time there was a YouTube channel that ran from morning session all the way from the 10AM session all the way though the 6PM session.

Doing a fast search, I see a "General Conference" channel, with a "October 2021 General Conference | Saturday Sessions" and October 2021 General Conference | Sunday Sessions" waiting to "go live".

Last time I was successful in using the channel to "DVR" (time shift) the programming.

YouTube is not blocked during General Conference. I'm not sure if it's even blocked at all anymore.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The official Church broadcasts page is at https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/broadcasts?lang=eng
That's the page that's linked to from the ChurchofJesusChrist.org homepage.

The Church also streams general conference to this YouTube channel, as mentioned above:
https://www.youtube.com/user/LDSGeneralConference

I think that both places will have one all-day video stream for Saturday, and one all-day video stream for Sunday.

If you'll be running it from a laptop at your stake center, you'll probably want to have both bookmarked, so you can quickly switch to one if the other isn't working.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:35 pm If you'll be running it from a laptop...
Don't forget to disable any sleep, hibernate, and screen saver settings. Asking a laptop to just sit there for hours with no one touching it is not normal.

I don't think it's common now, but at one time there were sleep settings in BIOS that could kick in.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Booshway

Post by Booshway »

sbradshaw wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:35 pm The official Church broadcasts page is at https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/broadcasts?lang=eng
That's the page that's linked to from the ChurchofJesusChrist.org homepage.

The Church also streams general conference to this YouTube channel, as mentioned above:
https://www.youtube.com/user/LDSGeneralConference

I think that both places will have one all-day video stream for Saturday, and one all-day video stream for Sunday.

If you'll be running it from a laptop at your stake center, you'll probably want to have both bookmarked, so you can quickly switch to one if the other isn't working.
I attempted using the church broadcast page last conference and if I did not close the broadcast page and reopen it would timeout and the stream would go dark in the middle of the next session. What this means to me is that I have to be at the building the entire day (because I live far away from the chapel) to make sure nothing goes wrong. With satellite, I could just assign any person with no tech skills to be at the building.

I am not running 2 desktops (English and Spanish) and all my power and Bios setting are fine; it's also not a network issue!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Booshway wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:41 pm I attempted using the church broadcast page last conference and if I did not close the broadcast page and reopen it would timeout and the stream would go dark in the middle of the next session.
I did a dry run with YouTube 6 months ago using an Android TV device and it worked fine:

YouTube: October 2021 General Conference | Saturday Sessions

YouTube: October 2021 General Conference | Sunday Sessions

I may have bumped the volume control between sessions just to make sure the device didn't think it was forgotten.

Bonus: You can also use these links to time-shift the broadcast. The links appeared to be good for several days after the conference.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”