Pausing a Larix webcast for the sacrament

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Pausing a Larix webcast for the sacrament

Post by Mikerowaved »

My stake president landed a bombshell on me a couple of Sundays ago (that I learned later came from the area authority). He stated, beginning the following Sunday, all the wards will be putting the sacrament ordinance back in its usual timeslot in the meeting; right after ward or stake business and before the first speaker. Like many of you, after returning to church following the first Covid surge, the sacrament was moved to the end, following the closing prayer. I thought about the request for a while, wondering how I could pull it off, with 1 Nephi 3:7 ringing in my head.

Our stake center was upgraded with the latest A/V equipment and uses the HD wall-mounted camera with the Teradek VidiU encoder. I'll focus on pausing that in another topic. The two ward buildings use a cellphone in a cradle with Larix Broadcaster. The chapel audio is fed to the cellphone using a 4-section 3.5mm cable from a custom attenuator box I built. Each ward streams to their own live event on the stake's YouTube channel. Members at home start there, then select the worship service they wish to watch.

My goal in setting up the YT channel was to try and make it "Larix friendly". In the YT Live settings I turned on Enable auto-start, Enable auto-stop, and turned off any possible viewer interaction to avoid unwanted comments from bad actors. The auto-start feature allows the webcast to go live once a valid stream is detected. The auto-stop will end the webcast if it doesn't see a stream for 60 seconds. I also have Unlist live replay once stream ends enabled, to take the webcast from "Public" to "Unlisted" once it ends. This also removes that ward's link from the stake's channel. This is all done automatically and works very well. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide for stopping a webcast for the sacrament in the middle of a meeting.

Looking deeper into Larix, I found there's a Pause feature that can put up a static screen (Larix calls them "overlays") all while muting the audio. Perfect! I put together a rather simple image and uploaded it to my personal website. (Larix can use either a URL or a picture in the phone's memory. I chose the former, as it's easier for me to control.) You are welcome to download it, or simply link to it using the following URL (it will stay there for many years to come):

https://grovesnet.org/pics/bread-and-water.jpg

I made it 1280x720 pixels as our webcasts are all in 720p. Here are the step-by-step Larix changes for Android devices:

Go to Settings --> Overlays -->
Show layers on preview --> OFF
Enable standby mode --> OFF (Yes, this is correct. For Larix, “standby” is different than “pause”.)
Scroll down to New Layer --> (For iOS, hit the + in the upper-right corner.)
        Name --> Sacrament
        URL --> https://grovesnet.org/pics/bread-and-water.jpg
        Active --> OFF (default)
        Scale --> Move slider up to 100%
        Position --> Center (default)
        Z Order --> 4 (default)
        --> SAVE and go back one screen to Overlays

Do NOT enable any layers on this screen!
Scroll to the bottom and click on --> Check layers images availability
If any do not say “Success”, go into “Manage Layers” and check for any typos.
When all is good, go to Pause overlays --> Check the box for “Sacrament
Exit Setup

If all goes well, you should be able to start a stream, then press and hold the red square for 1 second to pause it. The phone’s screen should go dark with the red square changed to a “pause” icon. A simple tap on the pause icon will get the stream going again. If the stream is accidentally shut off trying to pause it (indicated by the red square changing to a white circle and the screen not going dark), simply tap the white circle to restart it, then do the long press until the screen goes dark.

Last Sunday was the first week we put this into play, and with minimal training, the brethren conducting had no issues pausing the webcast for the sacrament and restarting it again.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Pausing a Larix webcast for the sacrament

Post by russellhltn »

Nice!
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

A talented member of our stake came up with a novel idea for pausing a webcast during the sacrament on a system that's using a PTZ camera with the Teradek VidiU encoder. Our goal was to be able to pause and restart it while seated in the congregation and present to the remote viewers the static sacrament picture I referenced in the 1st post. Here's what he came up with, modified just a smidge by me.

Using 2 cellphones, have the first one setup with Larix Broadcaster with the "Pause overlay" configured, as described in the 1st post. Setup Larix with the same RTMP credentials as the Teradek with the following change:

Instead of rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2/xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
Use rtmp://b.rtmp.youtube.com/live2?backup=1/xxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx or whatever YT shows at the backup stream.

With the second cellphone, log into the Teradek web interface. You're all set!

When getting close to the sacrament service, start Larix webcasting on the first phone and Pause it using a long-press on the red square.

Just prior to the sacrament hymn, stop the Teradek stream using the web interface on the 2nd phone.

The Larix phone will now take over the webcast and will display the static sacrament picture to folks at home. It's also muted.

As the sacrament comes to a close, start the Teradek stream again using the web interface on the 2nd phone.

When the person conducting stands up, stop the stream on the Larix phone. The Teradek will take over and continue webcasting the rest of the meeting.

Yes, it's a little twisted, but it works great! It works because if the primary stream is ever disrupted, YouTube will automatically check the backup stream and switch to it if it's valid. The primary stream then becomes a backup for the secondary stream and will kick in anytime the secondary stream is shut off. (YT will NOT switch back to the primary stream just because it's going again. It will only switch if the secondary stream stops.)

One thing I found is YouTube really wants the 2 streams to be the same resolution and frame rate. Not doing this may cause it not to switch streams.
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

This topic is gold. Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”