List of iPhone app developers on forum

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
Enigma1-p40

Post by Enigma1-p40 »

awesome i'll look into getting my hands on a copy of osX Thanks
Josiah-p40

Hackintosh?

Post by Josiah-p40 »

@Enigma1

It is true that there are a variety of ways to create a so-called "Hackintosh" and run OS X on non-Apple hardware. However, none of them are as straight forward as putting a copy of OS X in the DVD drive and installing. Like their name states, there is a fair amount of 'hacking' involved and often only yields mixed results.

That is to say nothing about whether or not there is any legal or moral obligation to Apple's EULA that bars installation on non-Apple hardware.

I recommend getting a Mac for iPhone development. I got a great deal with the Student Developer Membership. There are some good deals on Apple's refurbished page. Refurbished Macs have the same warranty as the new ones.

....And be sure to tell them I sent you - I get a commission. j/k :)
Josiah-p40

Any Word?

Post by Josiah-p40 »

@tomw

Any word on those iPhone projects?
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Josiah wrote:@tomw

Any word on those iPhone projects?
I'm putting together some functional specs. I don't want to talk in more detail about it until I have the specs done. But it should be soon.

Tom
rickybloomfield

Post by rickybloomfield »

tomw,

Exciting to hear that the Church has something planned in this area. I've seen an explosion of iPhone/iPod touch devices among church members. It would be good to have some sort of Church-approved standard scripture app to replace EZ Reader, which "is the only reader that supports the official handheld version of the scriptures" according to LDS.org. One reasonable route to this type of app would be to contact Lee Falin, who currently produces the excellent free app "The Scriptures" for the iPhone. I'm sure he would love to be able to include officially-supported content such as manuals and the Hymnal to his app, which could serve as a starting code base for the Church app.

If an actual app isn't possible, having a mobile Webkit formatted version of LDS.org or scriptures.lds.org would be the next best thing (and would support Android and other Webkit-based mobile browsers such as the browser in the upcoming Palm pre).

It would also be great to have an app that supported FamilySearch.org (the new beta version). But I'm just dreaming now. I look forward to hearing more!

Ricky
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Ricky wrote: One reasonable route to this type of app would be to contact Lee Falin, who currently produces the excellent free app "The Scriptures" for the iPhone. I'm sure he would love to be able to include officially-supported content such as manuals and the Hymnal to his app, which could serve as a starting code base for the Church app.
Ricky, we have been in contact with several developers of iPhone apps and will definitely include Lee in the mix.

Tom
kcmcbride

Post by kcmcbride »

I would love to participate in any iPhone app project for the Church. I may not be an experienced coder, more self-taught as a hobby (have the SDK and going through tutorials, etc), but I can also help in other ways, as needed. Documentation, testing, etc. I have been a product manager for web apps in the past and am currently a statistical programmer by day. Thanks - excited to see the Church consider this area. I am in a bishopric and 2 (soon to be 3) of us have iPhones.

Kyle
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

It sounds great about the mobile market.

It is great to hear how popular the iPhone is amongst quorum members but are there anybody who knows the numbers of iPhones out there versus the number of Windows Mobile devices and other devices? I am just curious for the reason to focus on one platform ie the iPhone.
In our quorum nobody has an iPhone but a Windows Mobile device exists with a few.

Are there any of the iPhone developers who can comment on if the iPhone SDK kit has been improved since it was first introduced? The very first version I saw it had a lot of things missing from it in particular on the animation side ie the Apple developed applications looked great with their support for multi-touch etc but it wasnt supported in the SDK, at least not in an easy way. BUT things might have moved on since hence why I am curious to hear what the current state is.
mprusse

iPhone market

Post by mprusse »

According to this report I read today, iPhone owns 51% of US smartphone traffic. http://tinyurl.com/bzvkhb
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

macsense wrote:According to this report I read today, iPhone owns 51% of US smartphone traffic. http://tinyurl.com/bzvkhb
Keyword there being "traffic," as this was only an analysis of people using their smart phones to browse websites.

But this does show the iPhone's stranglehold on the market. :)

Return to “Other Member Technologies”