How To: Edit / Change 'Your Temple'

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
teresauhamilton4

How To: Edit / Change 'Your Temple'

Post by teresauhamilton4 »

When I go to Serve > Temples > Attending The Temple > Appointments, the temple that shows as 'Your Temple' is not a nearby temple. I would like to change the current (far away) temple to a temple that is much closer to me that I attend frequently. Could anyone help me figure out how to edit / update the 'Your Temple', please?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How To: Edit / Change 'Your Temple'

Post by russellhltn »

I'm pretty sure the temple is based on the temple district for the ward your membership records are in.

If you have a smart phone, you might want to try Member Tools. The "Nearest" tab makes it easy to select your desired temple.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

If russellhltn's suggestion works for you, that's great.

If you believe your "far away" temple is not the correct temple assigned to your stake/district, ask a clerk in your unit to look up your unit in a tool called CDOL to see if it's associated with the correct temple. (Most likely the CDOL information is the data source for 'Your Temple.') If the CDOL information is incorrect, your clerk can submit a correction request.

On the other hand, if the CDOL information is correct and your stake/district is closer to another temple, you'd need to discuss your suggestion with your stake/district president. Some stake/district boundaries may be very large and it's possible that your unit is closer to another temple and other units in the stake/district are closer to another temple. Your stake/district president could suggest being assigned to a different temple. That doesn't mean the church will agree, but he's probably the only person in your stake/district whose opinion would be considered in making any changes.

For the most part, I don't believe 'Your Temple' matters too much other than that's the temple where your unit will receive assignments and where you can serve as a temple worker. In some areas, due to COVID-19, I believe some temples are still only open to people from units assigned to them.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It might be helpful to check if others in your ward are seeing the same temple.
It's possible that a temple won't show if it's currently closed (for a holiday, for annual cleaning, for renovation, for COVID, etc.).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

This is happening because your stake is assigned to that temple. Your stake president could inquire whether it would be possible to have your ward assigned to a different temple district. I don't know if that request would be granted, but he is the one who would need to ask.
teresauhamilton4

Post by teresauhamilton4 »

Thank you all for your suggestions!

I tried russellhltn's suggestion, but it will not allow me to manually update the temple. Thank you for that!

My husband's temple shows up with the correct temple that is nearby (less than 1 mile away), so it's odd that my temple shows a temple that is 15 miles away. That's okay. I will contact a clerk and ask if they can assign the temple nearby.

This has been very helpful! I appreciate you all!
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

teresauhamilton4 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:01 amMy husband's temple shows up with the correct temple that is nearby (less than 1 mile away), so it's odd that my temple shows a temple that is 15 miles away. That's okay. I will contact a clerk and ask if they can assign the temple nearby.
Now I'm intrigued. You should both be seeing the same temple. There isn't anything in the data that suggests why you and your husband are seeing different temples.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

scgallafent wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:23 pm Now I'm intrigued. You should both be seeing the same temple. There isn't anything in the data that suggests why you and your husband are seeing different temples.
My guess: The MRN on the account you're using doesn't match the MRN of the membership record in the ward. Having the wrong MRN on the account isn't unheard of. I'd suggest going to the directory or the calendar and seeing what ward pops up.

Another possibility is that your spouse is serving as a out-of-unit leader, such as a bishop for a YSA ward. There's a couple of things that might be happening there that isn't getting applied to you as technically, you're not participating in the ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

teresauhamilton4 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:01 am I tried russellhltn's suggestion, but it will not allow me to manually update the temple. Thank you for that!
Just to be clear, I was offering a work-around. Not a fix. There is no way to change it.

teresauhamilton4 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:01 am I will contact a clerk and ask if they can assign the temple nearby.
The only thing he can do is help figure out why you're seeing a different result and perhaps correcting the error.

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Just to clarify some things...

When you and your husband to My Home (https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/my- ... d?lang=eng), do you each see the same temple in the "My Temple" card?
my-temple-1.png
my-temple-1.png (8.22 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
If you then click on "Schedule an Appointment," you end up at the scheduling site. The card on that page starts with your temple (and says "Your Temple"). Do you each see the same temple there? Does it match what you saw on the My Home page?
my-temple-2.png

Return to “Main Church Website”