Receipt that has discount

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
keithcolli

Receipt that has discount

Post by keithcolli »

A reimbursement request was submitted from Sam's club giving a discount but the tax and subtotal show a larger amount. How can this be approved
garystroble

Re: Receipt that has discount

Post by garystroble »

Not sure I fully understand your question, however in many states by law the sales tax must be calculated on the amount prior to any manufacturer discounts or coupons. Somewhere on the receipt it should show the amount paid, which would be the amount to reimburse.
keithcolli

Post by keithcolli »

the amount paid is exactly 2 dollars discount from total. The thing is the receipt tax and subtotal add up the $114 but the receipt shows $112 due to the discount. The amount of $114 is not shown anywhere on the receipt.
Last edited by keithcolli on Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

keithcolli wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:17 pm the amount paid is exactly 2 dollars discount from total. The thing is the receipt tax and subtotal add up the $114 but the receipt shows $112 due to the discount. The amount of $114 is not shown anywhere on the receipt.
I'm not understanding. How much did the member pay?

Generally, we think of reimbursement as paying the member's "cash out of pocket" costs.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

keithcolli wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:17 pm the amount paid is exactly 2 dollars discount from total. The thing is the receipt tax and subtotal add up the $114 but the receipt shows $112 due to the discount. The amount of $114 is not shown anywhere on the receipt.
The member paid Sam's Club $112; the reimbursement should be $112. $114 reimbursement would be incorrect and will not pass audit. There is a trend in retail receipts not to itemize discounts at some stores, not sure why.
keithcolli

Post by keithcolli »

Thanks for the input. I was just freaking myself out. I will have member resubmit for the amount that was actually paid but will that create an audit finding since the tax and subtotal don't add up to what the member actually paid?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

The member should submit a request to be paid the amount they actually spent. If the receipt shows more than that amount, that is fine. I would reimburse the amount actually spent.

I do not like it, but we receive receipts for lots of things where only a portion of the amount is for items that the Church should reimburse. As long as the receipt is higher than the reimbursement and otherwise includes mention of the item(s) being reimbursed, your auditor should not even blink twice.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

keithcolli wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:57 am Thanks for the input. I was just freaking myself out. I will have member resubmit for the amount that was actually paid but will that create an audit finding since the tax and subtotal don't add up to what the member actually paid?
Is the discount below the tax and subtotal? I can't imagine that the discount isn't reflected somewhere so that the receipt balances out.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”