Email opt out issue

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
garystroble
Senior Member
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States

Email opt out issue

Post by garystroble »

It appears that very recently the Church now requires a member to positively opt in to receive emails through the Church system from leaders. While this is a good thing, there is a very real hook which clerks need to be aware of.

I entered an email for a member who did not show one today and it then showed in LCR that they have opted out of Church emails. A very recent convert who I added the email address to her membership also appears to have had this happen to her. Also did a test on a less active membership today and it happened there too, I then deleted the test email address of course.

So if any clerk or bishop adds an email address to a membership where there was not one showing before, the software immediately flags it as opting out of Church emails. I assume if a member adds the email address it prompts or requires them to opt in to receiving Church emails, but clerks and bishops cannot even see this for other members.

You can see the yellow triangle flag on the email field of the membership screen when you hit refresh, and also by clicking on all email addresses and doing a find in your browner for "unsub" you can see all who have or are marked as unsubscribing to Church emails in the send a message system.

I will be contacting the GSD on this tomorrow to verify this is what they want to be happening and it's not a bug from the recent deletion of household phone and email information. Will report back what is said.
garystroble
Senior Member
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States

Re: Email opt out issue

Post by garystroble »

The issue was new to the person I talked with today from the GSD. They were going to pass it along to the developers and also asked me to report it on the contact us link on the LCR web page, which I did.

My guess is this is by design but also since it blindsided us, I made a strong request to keep clerks and bishops notified when things like this change.
garystroble
Senior Member
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States

Re: Email opt out issue

Post by garystroble »

GSD now confirms this is a bug which happened with the removing of household email and phone number fields. They are working on a fix, but time frame is unknown. Once it is fixed it will NOT be retroactive they also said, so anyone who got marked unsubscribed from leader emails through the Church send a message system by this bug will have to fix it themselves; the clerk or bishop cannot fix it. I also don't know how we will know when it is fixed unless they inform all of us, which historically is not real likely. Guess we will have to use made up emails as above and keep testing it.

Return to “Membership Help”