FIR Request via Web, failure selecting 'issue type'

Discussions about other Church websites
brucew
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2025 12:08 pm

FIR Request via Web, failure selecting 'issue type'

Post by brucew »

For a while I've had to avoid using the FIR website to enter requests. The field "Issue Type" isn't populating when you select something from the drop-down list of choices. I've tried it on multiple computers, using multiple browsers and have cleared all cookies, logged out/in etc.
Are others seeing this problem?
As a workaround, the mobile app is working and it does work I've just discovered to manually type the word-for-word entry for the selection into the field.
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 36811
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: FIR Request via Web, failure selecting 'issue type'

Post by russellhltn »

That's a confusing UI.

It seems the field is just a search aid for the list displayed just below it. The selection is made by clicking on the item in the list. It's logical to expect the field will get populated, but it doesn't.

If I try to submit an incomplete issue where I didn't select the issue type, it indicates that nothing was selected. If I do select something and try to submit an incomplete issue, then it doesn't complain about that field.

Once you understand the UI, I do see it as an improvement. In the old system you had to know the taxonomy of the list of issues. Such as "Organs" is under "Interior" and not "Technology". That's a problem when you had to select the top-level before selecting the actual issue type. With the search, you can jump directly to "Organs".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
brucew
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2025 12:08 pm

Re: FIR Request via Web, failure selecting 'issue type'

Post by brucew »

Thanks for your input. It does have room for clarity. The previous design used only the selectable drop-down and now the current adds the input field but it left the drop-down UI as selectable, and the text input if typed has to match something in the list. A simple fix would be a script to populate the input field when an item is selected from the drop-down.

Return to “Other Websites”