Ward Mission Program

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

tomw wrote:I'm getting ready to upload a new version with the calendering in a much more stable state.

Tom
Great! Let us know when it is ready.
WelchTC

New Version (0.6) just posted

Post by WelchTC »

I have posted a new version of the Ward Mission Program. I'd like people's input on the project. Specifically if you are a java developer, I'd like to know if you have any problems compiling and running the source code. I want to streamline the process.

This new version has the calendaring feature more complete. You can now add exhchage and meal events for the missionaries.

The program can be found here.

Tom
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

tomw wrote:I have posted a new version of the Ward Mission Program. I'd like people's input on the project. Specifically if you are a java developer, I'd like to know if you have any problems compiling and running the source code. I want to streamline the process.

This new version has the calendaring feature more complete. You can now add exhchage and meal events for the missionaries.

The program can be found here.

Tom
I wasn't able to dowload the source or binary zip files from the most recent build. I kept getting a 404 Page Not Found error. I could download the source and binary zip files from the older version though. I could start and run the most recent code using your Java Web Start link and it worked just fine. I was able to pull the most recent version using Subversion and it compiled fine. I haven't run the application from the code checked of subversion yet but will try it when it is not so late.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

bhofmann wrote:I wasn't able to dowload the source or binary zip files from the most recent build. I kept getting a 404 Page Not Found error. I could download the source and binary zip files from the older version though. I could start and run the most recent code using your Java Web Start link and it worked just fine. I was able to pull the most recent version using Subversion and it compiled fine. I haven't run the application from the code checked of subversion yet but will try it when it is not so late.
Thanks for checking it out. I've fixed the two links you said were broken. Sorry about that all.

Tom
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

tomw wrote:Thanks for checking it out. I've fixed the two links you said were broken. Sorry about that all.

Tom
Yes, it works much better now. Thanks.

I'm going to get it up and running in the next couple of days and give it a good run through. Thanks for asking our opinion on it.
JasonG-p40

Post by JasonG-p40 »

I'm having some trouble getting java installed on my computer. If I ever manage to get it on here though, I'll take a look.
Jason D. Griffith
Pampa Ward, Amarillo Stake (Texas)
Community Guidelines
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

JasonG wrote:I'm having some trouble getting java installed on my computer. If I ever manage to get it on here though, I'll take a look.
What kind of problems are you having?

Perhaps a new thread would be best though.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

I don't know that I would want to have baptism and confirmation dates entered here. Wouldn't a check box indicating that they have been baptized and confirmed be adequate? The problem is entering this information into a system with potential users as ward and full time missionaries and even the ward mission leader isn't secure. Other discussion have been started regarding the use of the membership number and confirmation date. It seems to me that tracking the exact date here isn't needed.

This is probably meant more to track investigators progress and their baptism/confirmation date would be public knowledge to anyone attending, but not to those who come into the ward afterwards. I really think a simply, yes/no, check would be a more secure storage and use of this information.

WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

nimebe wrote:I don't know that I would want to have baptism and confirmation dates entered here. Wouldn't a check box indicating that they have been baptized and confirmed be adequate? The problem is entering this information into a system with potential users as ward and full time missionaries and even the ward mission leader isn't secure. Other discussion have been started regarding the use of the membership number and confirmation date. It seems to me that tracking the exact date here isn't needed.
This application is a client based application and would only reside on the person who is using the application's hard drive. Technically, I guess, the data could be shared by copying all of the data files and giving it to someone else but this application was not meant or designed to be web based. The app was really designed to help a ward mission leader, who would want to know dates. Here is why the date is important for baptism. Without a date, it is hard to do reporting on new member lessons verses investigator lessons. By just having a "check box" for baptism, how does the program know which lessons were taught as an investigator and which were taught as a new member. The reason that this is important is that some of the reports (from the missionary department) need to know that.

Tom
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

The baptism date isn't as much of a concern. Does the same need hold true for the confirmation date? That seems to be the more sensitive information as far as the church is concerned.

Don't get me wrong, I see your program as a great resource and tool! I wouldn't take the time to ask questions otherwise. I'm also not saying that it shouldn't be this way, I'm just trying to understand better.

I think your application has so much more potential, such as use by the Elders Quorum to track HT visits to certain families. I know it's hard enough sometimes for the Elders Quorum to even get people to report their home teaching as done or not done but for some families it would be great to have a record of each visit and how the visit went and what the family need etc.

I was looking at this and the Emergency Preparedness Program at http://jay.askren.net/emergency/ . Would there be any possibility, point, or reason to combine the two programs into a more comprehensive single unit? Just wondering. Thanks again Tom!

Return to “Other Member Technologies”