The LDS Linux Project

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
meffordm

Post by meffordm »

mkmurray,

My bad...I didn't see the other post, yet. Thanks.

Michael.
downunder-p40

Post by downunder-p40 »

todd wrote:Anyone interested in forming a community to develop an LDS Linux?

Todd
When you say "develop", do you mean build on top of another version of Linux that has been built on top of another?

Or are you planning on starting from scratch?

The reason I ask this, is that while kernel hacking (not cracking) is fun it's also time consuming.

I've been using Slackware since it's release, which is one of the oldest flavours of Linux around and have it also running on an EEE PC. It's also a text based install and can be slimmed down quite well.

To "develop" a Linux, I would start with LFS Linux (Linux From Scratch) and build from there, but that's only my suggestion.

I would be interested in something like this depending on it's final specifications. I've lost interest in low level kernel programming and my assembly skills are rusty, however my C skills are still good.

Just my thoughts....
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

mkmurray wrote:The only reason I am making a fuss about all of this is because this thread is beginning to have the same purpose as the other thread, and having the same discussion on two different threads is less effective and less cohesive.

It could be because it is not very clear what
"Anyone interested in forming a community to develop an LDS Linux?"
actually mean.

If I look at the previous thread I dont know what the above mean and if I disregard the previous thread I still dont know what the opening line of this thread mean.

This brings me back to my original thought that I would like to hear what the purpose (ie outcome) of LDS Linux is ie a description rather than a one-liner. To people heavily involved in Linux it might make sense (I am guessing) but to others it wont.
richardsontb

Post by richardsontb »

Please see the attached Powerpoint Presentation.

Sincerely,

Todd Richardson
Attachments
theldslinuxproject0.1.pps
(216.5 KiB) Downloaded 710 times
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

todd wrote:Please see the attached Powerpoint Presentation.

Sincerely,

Todd Richardson
Todd,

I really like the thought “LDS Linux” and it is great you are trying to drum up some support for a group to take it forward. Judging by the comments and discussion that went on with the previous thread I think it shows other people are also interested.

I have to admit I am not a Linux techie so I couldn’t help with that aspect but as a user I do see potential here and I would definitely install LDS Linux if it becomes what I imagine it will be.

I think your PowerPoint slides is a good start to further define and summarise what LDS Linux is and it would be helpful if you would enhance it to include everything LDS Linux will end up being and once everyone can see the whole picture then I think you will be able to drum up a lot more support from those Linux techies who we know exist in this forum.

The previous thread served the purpose of getting ideas on the table and from that the new purpose of LDS Linux could be specified.

How about we forget about mobiles, Blackberry’s and what will run on church owned PC’s because the issues surrounding them are simply too vast and instead concentrate on making LDS Linux the preferred O/S system used by LDS Families.

That can be done as a LIVE CD, installed on HD or through VMware etc.

See my message here for a list of things which I see LDS Linux could be.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

To the program's list of project I would add:
1. GRAMPS for genealogy (or PAF through WINE ( this wine is not forbidden by WofW)):D
2, Firefox with LDS Toolbar (there is one already in English and Italian:cool:)
3. Skype
4. Thunderbird.

Most of all it's important to setup a site for download and upgrade!
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

todd wrote:Please see the attached Powerpoint Presentation.

Sincerely,

Todd Richardson
dkjorgi wrote:Todd,
I think your PowerPoint slides is a good start to further define and summarise what LDS Linux is and it would be helpful if you would enhance it to include everything LDS Linux will end up being and once everyone can see the whole picture then I think you will be able to drum up a lot more support from those Linux techies who we know exist in this forum.
How about a file format other than PowerPoint (probably a trademark)?

Doesn't Open Office have a presentation format?

(Just my personal opinion--not anything official.)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rmrichesjr wrote:How about a file format other than PowerPoint (probably a trademark)?
The presentation was simply text, so for accessibility I will reproduce it below:

The LDS Linux Project
Why, what and how. . .

Why
  • The open source revolution allows us the opportunity
  • Most major distributions do not address true end user needs
    • Stability
    • Ease of use
    • Small enough to download with limited bandwidth
  • In the time of Alma, “. . . the people of the church began to wax proud, because of their exceeding riches, and their fine silks, and their fine-twined linen, and because of their many flocks and herds, and their gold and their silver, and all manner of precious things, which they had obtained by their industry. . .”
  • To avoid what Alma has described, we try to help all of our members. We do this by helping them do for themselves. Having a Linux community will help us in this effort.

What

• Stable
  • Easy to use
  • Small enough to download with limited bandwidth
  • Contains most popular software
    • OpenOffice.org
    • Firefox
How
  • That is the purpose of this forum thread
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Alan, thanks for the quick post of the text. I'll bite with one idea of how:

I would propose that one very efficient, perhaps the most efficient, way to achieve the stated goals would be to remaster an existing distribution. For one example of undoubtedly many, I use Mandriva's free version, and (with a few exceptions every so often) have found it to be stable and easy to use. It has GUI tools for system administration and a choice of desktop environments. A remastered installation CD could be as small as desired--the tradeoff being size vs. including a larger subset of popular packages. I suspect getting agreement on which packages to include may end up being difficult.

If there are other packages needed for LDS users (food storage stuff, etc.) then they could be included. At least with Mandriva, they could also be made available (through 'contrib') to the distribution at large, subject to copyright and license issues.

One big advantage of piggy-backing on an existing distribution is for security patches. It takes many hands to maintain security patches of any significant number of packages.
downunder-p40

Post by downunder-p40 »

So we need?

1. A base distribution (preferably an existing one) with unneeded packages removed.

2. Packages to be distributed.

3. Programmers for both of the above

4. Alpha and Beta Testers

5. Some computer dummies (I find these people are the best to test a new program on)

6. Web servers (test site, main site, and support)

7. Money (to pay for web servers) and someone to put the above (Number 6) together.

8. Slimmed down for fast download. Here in Australia, 270 MB = 4 hours download. We don't have broadband here yet! :eek: Probably multiple stage installs. (Slackware has this. If you don't require a GUI, you only need the first disk)

9. Someone better than me at making lists :)

Just a few more thoughts to get the discussion going.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”