LDS Linux

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
Hillshum-p40

Post by Hillshum-p40 »

Here's what I have to say. Base this distro off ubuntu, add plenty of LDS software. Change the theme a bit (don't we all love brown?). Make sure it works with Wubi so people can dual-boot without messing with disk partitions.

Now, a software repository with LDS software for Ubuntu (and any other distro somebody wants to maintain) would be a good idea for those already using ubuntu
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

todd wrote:marianomarini_vi wrote:
I was kind of working off what "marianomarini_vi" wrote. However, if a remaster is preferred, I would have to choose Ubuntu.

In regards to the cosmetics of the re-master, I think use of the shade of teal that the Church uses on most of it's websites would help identify the re-master as Church related. I was playing around with a simple background. I made it black with a mind to change it to the Church's teal when I can figure out the RGB code. http://www.toddrichardson.com/ldsl/wallpaper.bmp

Todd

Todd,

Ok now your thinking about a remaster of Ubuntu then how about getting a list of the changes needed together so you can get people "on board" and they can see where all this is going?

Then after that wallpaper etc can be sorted.
richardsontb

Post by richardsontb »

"dkjorgi" wrote:

Ok now your thinking about a remaster of Ubuntu then how about getting a list of the changes needed together so you can get people "on board" and they can see where all this is going?

Then after that wallpaper etc can be sorted.

Good point.

I am hesitant to say this but, I was on the GNU website over the weekend. I was looking at the binary blob free distributions. gNewSense has a fairly simple remaster script. It is based on Debian/Ubuntu. What are your thoughts? Would it be something that would be considered by the community, or shall we just stick with Ubuntu.

Todd
downunder-p40

Post by downunder-p40 »

todd wrote:It is based on Debian/Ubuntu. What are your thoughts?
The last time I attempted an Ubuntu download it was a DVD ISO around 5 GB in size. In Australia, where broadband internet has not been invented yet, this would take me several days to download if the line would stay connected.

Hence my preference for Slackware (1 CD for a fully functioning system). As a long time power user of Unix, the last time I used Ubuntu, I had to break into the system to enable the root account as it was disabled.

So onto packaging, could the distro be broken up into a live CD and then additional packages downloaded later after an instal?
zwhitr

Post by zwhitr »

downunder wrote:The last time I attempted an Ubuntu download it was a DVD ISO around 5 GB in size. In Australia, where broadband internet has not been invented yet, this would take me several days to download if the line would stay connected.

Hence my preference for Slackware (1 CD for a fully functioning system). As a long time power user of Unix, the last time I used Ubuntu, I had to break into the system to enable the root account as it was disabled.

So onto packaging, could the distro be broken up into a live CD and then additional packages downloaded later after an instal?

The latest ubuntu is only 700 MB

ps I found a work around for the root account being disabled

1. When the KDE login pops up do a console login in then log in as root in command line. Its disabled for a reason (root + NOOB = danger)

Todd count me in for testing.

pc.. By definition I am a noob also, but the more I play around with the system the more comfortable I get.

I just finished an ubuntu server running web, samba, FTP and mail "I am stoked" I'm still fine tuning the Mail server-- seems not to like my dynamic dns hosting.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

downunder wrote:...
Part of the remastering process is deciding which packages to have on the installation media and which to download later--or so I have gathered.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Todd,

This thread has certainly had many viewings and many comments and it has all been about technology related to our church lives which is exactly what we want to promote.

So it shows that the subject is one many people are interested in and therefore I think your initial question (about if other people are interested in "LDS Linux") has been well answered.

So don't you think the next step should be for you to take it forward and create a space on the net where all the details etc can be discussed and decided and taken forward?
I am sure we would all redirect any further interest to your site..

The subject and all the issues surrounding it are certainly far greater than what a single thread in this forum can support.
richardsontb

Post by richardsontb »

dkjorgi:

I am working on getting a forum set up on my web server.

Everyone:

I have found very specific instructions on how to customize Ubuntu at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization.

Todd
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

todd wrote:dkjorgi:

I am working on getting a forum set up on my web server.

Everyone:

I have found very specific instructions on how to customize Ubuntu at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization.

Todd

Brilliant Todd, let us know when your forum is setup.
richardsontb

Post by richardsontb »

For further conversation on the LDS Linux topic goto:

http://www.toddrichardson.com/ldsl/
(the link is no longer working)

Return to “Other Member Technologies”