Account codes for HP?

Discussions about setup, operation, and maintenance of these devices in meetinghouses other than a FHC
crislapi

Account codes for HP?

Post by crislapi »

I've spent a lot of time trying to take advantage of the all-purpose features available on our new stake copier just to run into issues with all but copying.

This post relates specifically to regulating copies on the machine. 7 of our wards share our building and use our copier in addition to regular stake use. We are a student stake, so there are lots of flyers, programs, etc being copied. It is also located in the institute building, which means anyone during the week could also use it. It would be great to limit access somehow, not to mention keep track of who is making copies. Currently we ask people to write down on a piece of paper their name, ward, and number of copies so that we can keep track. This would be much, no, MUCH easier if we could do this using the account feature of the copier.

Copier Admin states
currently (late 2008) most of the Sharp and Xerox copier models have account codes, while the HP copiers do not.
If you couldn't guess, yes, we have one HP copier between all of us. Is there any way of enabling this feature? Please?
Copier Admin-p40

Account codes

Post by Copier Admin-p40 »

The HPs bought for local unit material centers and stake suites do not have account codes and their is no feature to enable them. I was by our HP rep that they do have a feature that allows one code or password to be used to lock out anyone that doesn't have it, but that feature doesn't help much with what you want.

On the other hand, if a stake has 7 wards using one machine, you are likely entitled to have a second machine. You may want to have someone approach the FM group that services your stake to see about getting a second machine to handle the load. They can contact church hq copier admin with any questions. They may not want to since the cost comes out of their budget, but in most cases, 7+ ward stakes are authorized for more than one machine.
Copier admin.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

I'm not sure that adding a second machine addresses the issue at hand, though. :D
danpass

Post by danpass »

scion wrote:I'm not sure that adding a second machine addresses the issue at hand, though. :D
True, if the second machine is another HP. My take on the recommendation was they should request a second machine and specify that the machine be one of the ones that does support the account codes feature.

The older machine could be located in the stake offices, limiting access to a smaller group. The new one, with account codes configured, would become the shared machine.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Copier Admin wrote:I was by our HP rep that they do have a feature that allows one code or password to be used to lock out anyone that doesn't have it, but that feature doesn't help much with what you want.
What does your Xerox rep say?

Our other 2 wards meet in an LDS college. During the week, the room where their copier is located is a student computer lab. They have a Xerox 3635MFP. It would be wonderful if we could even enable one account on this machine to keep students from using it during the week.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

crislapi wrote:It would be wonderful if we could even enable one account on this machine to keep students from using it during the week.

I suppose you could pull the blank paper out of it.

Return to “Printers, Copiers, and Multi-Function Devices”