Moving Missionary money from one son to another

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
rexgj

Post by rexgj »

boomerbubba wrote:If the parents' intent was really to donate to support Number Two Son, I think those can be corrected retroactively in the closed batches. It seems odd that the parents would deliberately contribute more than was necessary for Number One Son and not contribute to Number Two.
I don't think THEY did, I think it was someone else who donated, another family relative, or someone who like the kid and wanted to help him on his mission, but the parents not knowing this continued to make their monthly $400 payments to the ward. Nor do I think they thought they were supporting the second son, these funds were all contributed before the second son ever left on his mission.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

rexgj wrote:...but MLS will not allow me to delete that sub-category because "it is in use."
I know the others answered your question with a discussion of financial retention periods, but I wanted to point out that Alan_Brown carefully selected the word "deactivate" as the appropriate action for such sub-categories you no longer have use for. Again, this is because of the retention period, and "deletion" can only happen after said waiting period has elapsed.
gdbrown-p40

Post by gdbrown-p40 »

boomerbubba wrote:You might also dig into the original donation envelopes and make sure the clerks credited the donations to the correct Ward Missionary subcategory. (Maybe the new subcategory was not created in time, and the clerks erroneously used the old one?)

If the parents' intent was really to donate to support Number Two Son, I think those can be corrected retroactively in the closed batches. It seems odd that the parents would deliberately contribute more than was necessary for Number One Son and not contribute to Number Two.

You may also find by looking at who the donation was from that other ward members may have donated to the first son's account. If that is the case you may want to check with them about having that portion of their donation changed to the second son or to the Ward account. After consulting with our Bishop we transfered all excess funds from returned missionaries to the ward account then transfered to individual missionaries as needed from the ward account. This created a neater paper trail for auditing purposes.
Gene Brown
Brookwood Ward
Hillsboro, OR

Return to “Reports and Forms”