Baptism Question

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

natet wrote:This may seem like a silly question, but does it matter which ward issues the certificate?
Either ward can record the ordinance and/or print the certificate, but in my opinion it is easier and better for the home ward to do both:
  • It's best to only print the certificate when the ordinance has been recorded. That way you are printing the certificate of a recorded ordinance, with no chance that the certificate is issued and then someone forgets to record the ordinance, or that the information doesn't match.
  • It's easiest for the home ward to record the ordinance and print the certificate, since both functions in MLS allow you to select a member and then much of the information is filled in automatically.
  • If you record the ordinance in another ward, you have to fill in ward and stake names and unit numbers and a lot of information about the person being baptized (and who performed the ordinance). This is more work and has a greater possibility for clerical errors.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

scgallafent wrote:Since we went through this process Saturday with my youngest, here's the process we went through. There aren't any pronouncements of doctrine here and I'm not near a handbook today, so this is just to give you something to think about. Doing this can involve a fair amount of legwork.
  • Our bishop interviewed her for baptism, authorized us to go ahead with the baptism, and gave us the white copy of the baptism recommend/record with his signature
  • We talked to the bishop of the "vacation" ward (my parents' ward, in this case), who referred us to the high councilor responsible for Primary
  • He contacted the stake president in that stake, who authorized him to let us use the building after my parents' bishop talked to my bishop
  • My bishop called my parents' bishop and they chatted
  • The high councilor coordinated with the bishop to get keys to the bishop (my parents' ward meets in a different building) and arrange to have the font filled
  • I gave my parents' bishop the baptism record and my temple recommend -- We didn't fill out a recommend to perform an ordinance when we got the baptism recommend, but could have, and the bishops had talked on the telephone. I think there are written instructions that allow either recommend to be used.
  • She was baptized
  • I now have a completed baptism record that I will deliver to the home ward clerk when we get back
This is the third time we have had a child baptized "away from home," and the key steps of the process in every case have been:
  • Home ward bishop interviews and authorizes the baptism to proceed, since he holds those keys
  • Someone presides at the baptism at makes sure that ...
  • The baptism is performed properly :)
  • The appropriate documentation is returned to the home ward clerk to be recorded
(Would normally check handbook here, but I'm going out on a limb.) It doesn't have to be the bishop that presides. In one case, our bishop had me preside at the service because he couldn't be there. Having been through it both ways, I truly appreciate my parents' bishop showing up and coordinating the service so that I only had to worry about being the dad.

We also performed this recently, and we did essentially the same thing. We did include a Recommend to Perform an Ordinance even though the father (who was to do the baptism and confirmation) had a temple recommend. We chose to do so only as a precaution, however. The only other variations we had were:
  • I had my bishop sign to the Baptism and Confirmation Record (under the baptism signature) to authorize the ordinances prior to the family leaving. I then instructed the family to have the other bishop sign the Record (under the confirmation signature) after the ordinances were completed to communicate to us that they were performed correctly. I know this isn't exactly how the record is intended to be used, but it was a convenient way for us to communicate and record that things were done in their proper order.
  • When I gave the forms to the family, I attached them with a paper clip and included written instructions on what was expected in order to properly record the ordinance. Doing this meant that they would not need to try to remember all the instructions, but could enjoy their vacation without worrying if they did everything right.
Just figured I'd tack that on there for future reference.
pdecker-p40

Recommend to perform an ordinance…

Post by pdecker-p40 »

Ok, so this may be slightly off-topic, but we blew about an hour and a half on this today…

Not long ago, our Bishop received direction to discard the paper version of the "Recommend to Perform an Ordinance" forms, and fill the one out from MLS instead. We searched high and low throughout MLS and couldn't find this form. In the end I acquired a paper version from another bishop, (the individual does not have a temple recommend, so he can't just use that).

Does anyone know where to find these in MLS?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

pdecker wrote:Not long ago, our Bishop received direction to discard the paper version of the "Recommend to Perform an Ordinance" forms, and fill the one out from MLS instead.

Does anyone know where to find these in MLS?
The form is not in MLS. Perhaps someone confused the block on the Recommend for Baptism form where you can list the person who will perform the baptism, but that is not the same thing.

If your stake is accepting that as an adequate recommend to perform an ordinance, I suppose your stake president has approved that procedure. Otherwise, I would suggest that your bishop return to the person who gave the direction and ask for specific details on the process that is to be followed and where to obtain the Recommend to Perform an Ordinance form, which will not be from MLS.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

pdecker wrote:Does anyone know where to find these in MLS?
As lajackson said, it's not in MLS, but the Recommend to Perform an Ordinance can be obtained online on ldscatalog.com if you use your unit login.
mtmeers

Re: Baptism Question

Post by mtmeers »

The form IS on MLS. Go to Membership, then Reports/Forms, then Recommend to Perform an Ordinance.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

The form is in MLS and LCR. To find it in LCR, choose Reports > Forms > Recommend to Perform an Ordinance.
CyndiN3al

Post by CyndiN3al »

Years ago I learned that there is a problem with the dates of my baptism and confirmation. According to records, I was confirmed before I was baptized. How do I go about getting that corrected? I know the dates I was baptized and confirmed but do not have the documents that state the dates.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

CyndiN3al wrote:Years ago I learned that there is a problem with the dates of my baptism and confirmation. According to records, I was confirmed before I was baptized. How do I go about getting that corrected? I know the dates I was baptized and confirmed but do not have the documents that state the dates.
Talk with your ward clerk to get this process started.
larsynielsonjr

Post by larsynielsonjr »

This whole series of responses on how a child can be baptized outside of their home ward is wrong. This is a "tradition of the fathers".

Members of The Church need to understand how Priesthood Keys work. The bishop of the child being baptized holds those keys. He can not delegate his keys to someone outside of his ward. According to the handbook he can delegate to a counselor or even the ward mission leader.

Provisions are made for a person who is voice to perform an ordinance in another ward. No provision is made for the ordinance to be moved from stake to stake or ward to ward. That is why The Brethren have added the statement: "Members should not request special or individual times or prescribe the content of the baptismal services". Why? because it falls under the keys of the President of the Aaronic Priesthood - "The" bishop, not just imply a bishop.

GHB #2, section20.3.1 states: "A member of the bishopric presides over baptismal services for 8-year-old children of record when the services involve only one ward." (Note: the language is “the” bishopric no “a” bishopric)

Imagine the chaos if one stake president, without the membership in his stake decided to interview a person who was there on vacation. Priesthood leaders at the ward and stake level can not delegate keys to another bishop or stake president.

Return to “Membership Help”