beta calendar transition

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

ihenpecked wrote:So is there a limit to the amount of calendars we can create? I am creating a road map to help get our stake ready for Oct. 2011
We haven't heard of any limit.

Just out of curiousity - what importance is Oct 2011?. Did you mean to say Oct 2010?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
ihenpecked

Post by ihenpecked »

jdlessley wrote:We haven't heard of any limit.

Just out of curiousity - what importance is Oct 2011?. The reason I ask is that the beta calendar full release is scheduled for 1 January 2011 when it will become the LUWS calendar. We have this year to become acquainted with the beta calendar and to begin populating it with data for 2011. October just seems to be a bit late.
Sorry. That was a typo on my part. October 2010 is generally when our stake ramps up calendar prep for 2011. djlessley: Curious to know if you starting out with stake and ward calendars or setting up auxiliary calendars as well? UPDATE: I did go back to reread your original post in this thread. How many did you end up creating?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Since I am a stake web administrator and the STS I am trying to teach people to use the calendar rather than create the calendars for them. I plan on waiting until September to change that approach if people in the stake leadership roles do not create their own. I can do nothing for the wards except to let them know what needs to be done and to teach them how to use the beta calendar. It would be nice to have access to the all the unit calendars in the stake just to see how things are progressing. As we get closer to the end of this year I may get more requests for training. But for now I have not heard of any activity in the wards and there has been none in the stake in setting up calendars.

I have created a few stake calendars for the areas of responsibility I have and to show others what can be done.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jeromer7

Fuzzy Connection

Post by jeromer7 »

Chadf wrote:The goal though, is to avoid that as much as possible by helping train units throughout mid 2010 on the new calendar so that by Oct 2010, they're ready to begin entering 2011 events into the new calendar & can make a smooth transition on Jan 1, 2011 to using the new one exclusively.
I infer from this description that the new Ward and Stake Calendar function and the old unit calendars under LUWS will both be available at least through the end of the year. Is this correct? If so, will both be hosted within LUWS?

I also presume that there will be some advance notice and training guidelines provided to the general Church populace since I'm sure there are many units not represented here on the Forum and thus have no clue what is coming.
JLR
kisaac
Community Moderators

I see conflict-checking problems in the future...

Post by kisaac »

oregonmatt wrote:Identifying conflicts is not really an issue. It takes about 3 seconds to enable viewing of all of the calendars before scheduling an event. Anybody scheduling something would be wise to do so.
Oregonmatt,
I get submissions that conflict repeatedly on our LUWS calendar now. I think it will be an issue in my ward. I haven't yet decided if the major problem is the leaders lack technical ability, or time to look before scheduling, or the fact that many seem unaware that over-scheduling and double-scheduling directly affects the turn-out for their events.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

kisaac wrote:Oregonmatt,
I get submissions that conflict repeatedly on our LUWS calendar now. I think it will be an issue in my ward. I haven't yet decided if the major problem is the leaders lack technical ability, or time to look before scheduling, or the fact that many seem unaware that over-scheduling and double-scheduling directly affects the turn-out for their events.
It's no doubt this new calendar will require retraining. Perhaps this will be a good opportunity to try and fix these other problems as well.
ihenpecked

Post by ihenpecked »

oregonmatt wrote:It's no doubt this new calendar will require retraining. Perhaps this will be a good opportunity to try and fix these other problems as well.
One thing our stake president decrees is that no changes happen to the calendar unless it's during a stake council. That means all the players are there and should pretty much eliminate double scheduling. He did the same thing as a bishop, saying that ward council was the only place where the calendar could be changed on a ward level.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kisaac wrote:I get submissions that conflict repeatedly on our LUWS calendar now. I think it will be an issue in my ward. I haven't yet decided if the major problem is
Do you know if these are events submitted by a user though LUWS, or placed there by a Admin? Right now, I can't see how a user wouldn't see everything when they make their requests. A ward admin doesn't see church or stake level events when in admin mode, so I can see how conflicts could come up.

ihenpecked wrote:He did the same thing as a bishop, saying that ward council was the only place where the calendar could be changed on a ward level.
That is his prerogative, but I'd be concerned that the ward council would become a event correlation meeting instead of one that focuses on the needs of the members.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ihenpecked

Post by ihenpecked »

RussellHltn wrote:Do you know if these are events submitted by a user though LUWS, or placed there by a Admin? Right now, I can't see how a user wouldn't see everything when they make their requests. A ward admin doesn't see church or stake level events when in admin mode, so I can see how conflicts could come up.

That is his prerogative, but I'd be concerned that the ward council would become a event correlation meeting instead of one that focuses on the needs of the members.
I see your concern. In my experience, we've only had minor event adjustments because of careful calendar planning the previous year. At most, calendar discussions would only take up 5-10 minutes during a stake or ward meeting. When that policy was followed here, we've rarely had scheduling conflicts.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

RussellHltn wrote:Do you know if these are events submitted by a user though LUWS, or placed there by a Admin? Right now, I can't see how a user wouldn't see everything when they make their requests.
I am the admin who gets the submissions, and the only one who approves them...

I know we have issues that the new calendar won't fix.
As the single approver, the calendar exists because I force it to be used, as directed by our bishop. We print a two month copy to hand out in our meetings, because several organization heads don't have computers, and a few others have very minimal ability with them.

Which calendar(s) now would be printed out? And the new beta calendar printout is not as good as the LUWS printout we get now. I think I will miss a "master ward calendar" that contains every event.

Don't get me wrong...I'm excited about the new calendar, and see many positives, but As we move from a single approver of events for one master calendar, I might see some ward organizations stop using it if I'm not overseeing their calendar.

Return to “Calendar”