Transfer to new stake

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
eblood66

Transfer to new stake

Post by eblood66 »

Our ward was recently moved to a new stake which was itself divided into two at the same time. Our ward boundaries did not change. We were just moved to the new stake.

About a week and a half ago the change showed up in CDOL and in LUWS. However, the stake MLS has not received any membership records for our ward. The stake clerk contacted Local Unit Support via MLS message and they said we needed to do a boundary realignment using our unit number and the new stake number. But when I tried that I got this message:[INDENT]
The destination number cannot be the same as your current unit's number. The multiple household moves feature is only to be used for moving households into a unit with a different unit number.
[/INDENT]I've also tried to do Send Membership Data to Stake and the stake has done a Unit Refresh. So far none of it has worked.

The stake membership clerk and I plan on calling unit support tomorrow evening when we have access to both our ward MLS and the stake MLS but I thought it wouldn't hurt to also ask here and see if anyone has experience with this kind of situation.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In the ward MLS, has the stake name/number been updated in the System Options?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

It's important to look in Stake MLS, under System Options on the Unit screen, to see if your ward shows up on the list of units. If it doesn't, then that means that Stake MLS won't be getting information for your ward.

You can't edit the MLS list of units in the stake, but if you find that your ward is missing, that will certainly narrow down where the problem is. Then Local Unit Support can make sure that your ward gets assigned to the proper stake in MLS.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Alan_Brown wrote:It's important to look in Stake MLS, under System Options on the Unit screen, to see if your ward shows up on the list of units. If it doesn't, then that means that Stake MLS won't be getting information for your ward.

You can't edit the MLS list of units in the stake, but if you find that your ward is missing, that will certainly narrow down where the problem is. Then Local Unit Support can make sure that your ward gets assigned to the proper stake in MLS.
I know that our ward shows up in the dialog used to request a unit refresh. I expect that if it shows up there it will also show up under System Options but I'll let the stake clerk know he should check.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

RussellHltn wrote:In the ward MLS, has the stake name/number been updated in the System Options?
I did update the stake number/name before trying the boundary realignment and the send data to stake. I was wondering myself if the boundary realignment should be done before changing the stake info. I may try changing it back this morning and trying again.

I'm not too optimistic though because when I tried to do a boundary realignment with the test unit in MLS it still gave me the message that the unit number has to be different.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

eblood66 wrote:I did update the stake number/name before trying the boundary realignment and the send data to stake. I was wondering myself if the boundary realignment should be done before changing the stake info. I may try changing it back this morning and trying again.

I'm not too optimistic though because when I tried to do a boundary realignment with the test unit in MLS it still gave me the message that the unit number has to be different.

Since the stake has changed, but the ward has not, I do not believe MLS will allow you to "send" the records back to yourself. All you can do is make sure you have updated your stake information, which you have already done.

Have you considered making a good backup, deleting the ward from the ward MLS, and then reinstalling the ward, using the backup information?

I do not know that this will help. It really should not make any difference, but you never know.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Just to report back, we resolved the problem this evening but I'm not exactly sure what finally fixed it.

This afternoon I dropped by and tried the boundary realignment again, this time with the stake unit number in the system options set to our old stake. MLS still gave the same error message. It looks like the advice from unit support to use the boundary realignment feature was incorrect.

After that I switched the stake unit number in the system options back to our new stake and did a send/receive. I then selected Send Membership Data to Stake and did a send/receive again. I did the same thing last Sunday except I didn't do the send/receive between the two actions.

This evening before calling unit support we did a send/receive on the stake MLS and lo and behold the membership records showed up and we didn't have to call.

I don't really know what the problem was but I would guess it's probably one of these three:
  1. It's important to do a send/receive after changing the stake unit number in MLS and before sending data to the stake, OR
  2. It just took a few days to process the Send Data to Stake request and it just happened to come though tonight, OR
  3. There was some sort of glitch on Sunday and we just needed to do the Send Data to Stake request again.
norvmark

Move a Ward into another Stake

Post by norvmark »

If the Boundary and Leadership Change Committee Staff do not make the change at their end first, the Stake MLS will never receive the Ward's records.

You can tell if the Boundary and Leadership Change Staff have done their part because you will see the change in CDOL and the LDS.org Directory system.

The Ward that is moving from one Stake to another needs to go to System Options and change their Stake to the new Stake name and unit number they are being moved to.
They then need to do a Send/Receive.

The Stake receiving that Ward then needs to request a Unit refresh. After the refresh (takes several hours to be compiled at SL) the Stake should do another Send/Receive and will receive the Ward's records.

Return to “Membership Help”