Beta: Ward Leadership Directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

zaneclark wrote:Since my quest to make as many positions as possible conform to the standard names, this is the one that has bothered me the most....I'm sure that, as in all things from SL, there is a reason behind this but I can't see it yet...Image
It's the irony I enjoy here...in the attempt to make callings "standard," they seem to be anything but standard.

The programmers are in a tough spot...

They have to make the computers happy, so the data is shared...
They have to make the general presidencies and boards happy, so they keep their jobs...
And they have to deal with all of us...

In the end, The programmers will establish their labels for each calling, and my ward council will continue to call them by whatever name they choose, and the clerks and admins will be the ones that make it all work.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

kisaac wrote:It's the irony I enjoy here...in the attempt to make callings "standard," they seem to be anything but standard.

They have to make the general presidencies and boards happy, so they keep their jobs...

In the end, The programmers will establish their labels for each calling, and my ward council will continue to call them by whatever name they choose, and the clerks and admins will be the ones that make it all work.
I used to joke that the Church wouldn't function if it wasn't for the Relief Society. Then they called me as the clerk.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

kisaac wrote:It's the irony I enjoy here...in the attempt to make callings "standard," they seem to be anything but standard.

So we (the programmers) just made those 'labels' data fields and let the admins change the text when they want. ;) The main downside to all this is it just makes it too easy for the different presidencies to each try and set their own standard.:)
dobrichelovek

Post by dobrichelovek »

ryan jones wrote:So we (the programmers) just made those 'labels' data fields and let the admins change the text when they want. ;) The main downside to all this is it just makes it too easy for the different presidencies to each try and set their own standard.:)
So you put the locally edited version in parenthesis next to the official name, or vice versa. You give them what they want, but keep the standard name so there's consistency. I agree, it's a tough balancing act.
markgnorthcott

Post by markgnorthcott »

and with custom fields and openness to all the members of the stake you can now show just how "custom" your ward is... which only leads to further embarassment as a clerk.

funny... i remember when i first converted three years ago in a lesson they told me the church is the same no matter where you go. funny... i've been a member of 4 wards, 3 stakes in two countries (canada, uk) and none have really functioned "the same" there's always a few little tweaks that every ward makes for themselves, some larger than others.
techgy
Community Moderators

Printing In The Beta Directory

Post by techgy »

What lists can be printed in the Beta Directory?
The only thing I can see that can be printed is a ward membership roster.
I'm assuming that this feature is still being worked on since we're still in Beta.:D
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Techgy wrote:What lists can be printed in the Beta Directory?
The only thing I can see that can be printed is a ward membership roster.
I'm assuming that this feature is still being worked on since we're still in Beta.:D

There are several reports, such as those that make up the Bishop's Action and Interview List, in the Leadship section. IIRC, that entire section is available today only to users whose LDS Account logins authenticate them as bishops and ward clerks. I optimistically assumie that will expand to include counselors, exec secretaries and assistant clerks someday, roughly tracking the access in MLS itself as MLS-like functionality migrates to the web. Of course not all the MLS membership data exists yet in central databases, notably HT/VT data.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

boomerbubba wrote:There are several reports, such as those that make up the Bishop's Action and Interview List, in the Leadship section. IIRC, that entire section is available today only to users whose LDS Account logins authenticate them as bishops and ward clerks. I optimistically assumie that will expand to include counselors, exec secretaries and assistant clerks someday, roughly tracking the access in MLS itself as MLS-like functionality migrates to the web. Of course not all the MLS membership data exists yet in central databases, notably HT/VT data.
Access isn't the issue. I can view the reports. I just don't see any way of printing them aside from just printing the screen. The only "PRINT" link on the page prints only the ward membership directory.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Techgy wrote:Access isn't the issue. I can view the reports. I just don't see any way of printing them aside from just printing the screen. The only "PRINT" link on the page prints only the ward membership directory.
Are you in the the leader application or in the directory application? Access to the leader application is locked down to Bishops, Ward Clerks and Stake Presidents.

The leader application has additional reports that you would fine in MLS as boomerbubba pointed out.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

boomerbubba wrote:I optimistically assumie that will expand to include counselors, exec secretaries and assistant clerks someday
Currently the are adding some of those. I don't know what the full listed is expected to be, but those all make sense to include.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”