Request a clarification on usage of non-church owned websites

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

tortdog wrote:Now we're stepping of the "tech" side and getting to the overall policy....

So the goal of mine has been to leave behind a "legacy" of information to allow the next EQ Pres and HTer know where we've been. But . . .

I admit it is not an easy question, and hold my own opinion subject to wiser counsel. I do not purport to be a Church policymaker.

I do think there is a qualitative difference somewhere between ad hoc files for an EQP, similar to the "area book" concept you describe, and an institutionalized database that would be more permanent and presumably shared across top callings. Somewhere there is a line, and the creation of such a free-form database is where I get queasy. A tool like that can be misused, if just because no one remembers to purge old or inaccurate "information."

I was talking about this issue with my bishop, who said he recalls a time when such notes were passed down to successive ward leaders on paper as a routine practice, which has since been discontinued. I think the omission of such a database within MLS was no accident.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

tortdog wrote:... in the mission field, the areas often have "area books" that let the new elders/sisters know what has gone on before. It saves us time and allows us to leverage on a body of knowledge.

So why not something similar with the families in our HT districts?
My high priests group leader has an "area" book. So does the elders quorum president. Their counselors and assistants keep one, as well. There is not a lot in it. (Just as there usually was not a lot in a missionary area book.) But the important information (at least to that priesthood leader) is in his notes, and we review it each month during our stewardship interview.

And personally, I think that is how it ought to work.
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

Part of me agrees - for if it's paper it's a little harder to duplicate and paper has a tendency of not lasting too long. That is why I have always been hesitant to enter this type of data in an electronic journal (or database) of some sort.
RonaldF-p40

Post by RonaldF-p40 »

This thread is a little old but after reading through it, I feel that the subject went in a lot of tangents. I am the High Priest Group Leader for our ward. I just heard about ReturnandReport from the Elders Quorum Presidency. They are using it. Red flags popped up when I was told that MLS information was used and stored on a non church server. I have spent over an hour reading through this thread. My feeling is this; MLS data belongs to the church. It was collected by the church. The church owns it. It should not be transferred for any purpose without the church’s permission. If as an individual, you collect the data needed from each individual personally, and they give you permission to use it, Then that data can be transferred any where that you want within existing local and federal laws. It may be the exact same data that is in MLS but if you collected it from the individuals, then you own it. It belongs to you for your own use. If the church states that MLS data is not to be transferred to a non church server, then that is that. I am no expert. This is just my opinion.
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

RonaldF, agreed. Times have changed considerably since this thread began. In today's world leaders, without consent, are giving away the privacy of others on bsa.org, facebook.com, youtube.com, etc.. without the consent of the individuals or the Bishop.

However, you need to learn more about ReturnAndReport.org (RAR) and how it works as it does not use MLS data.

The leaders are asked to seek approval from their Bishop who is the steward for the data. See RAR's about page.

Next they must build files to upload to RAR on their own. The information is limited to the household names. Phones #'s are optional.

So provided the Bishop's approval has been given and the information is limited to what is publicly available and does not contain any privileged data.
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
RonaldF-p40

Post by RonaldF-p40 »

daddy-o wrote:RonaldF, agreed. Times have changed considerably since this thread began. In today's world leaders, without consent, are giving away the privacy of others on bsa.org, facebook.com, youtube.com, etc.. without the consent of the individuals or the Bishop.

However, you need to learn more about ReturnAndReport.org (RAR) and how it works as it does not use MLS data.

The leaders are asked to seek approval from their Bishop who is the steward for the data. See RAR's about page.

Next they must build files to upload to RAR on their own. The information is limited to the household names. Phones #'s are optional.

So provided the Bishop's approval has been given and the information is limited to what is publicly available and does not contain any privileged data.

Thanks for the information. Yes, I need to find out more about RAR. I was told that it used MLS info. I would still question its use if the information entered came from MLS in what ever form it was derived from. I question the posting of any church data on a non church server that is not approved by the individuals involved. Again just my opinion.
brado426

Post by brado426 »

RonaldF wrote:Thanks for the information. Yes, I need to find out more about RAR. I was told that it used MLS info. I would still question its use if the information entered came from MLS in what ever form it was derived from. I question the posting of any church data on a non church server that is not approved by the individuals involved. Again just my opinion.

ReturnAndReport.org does not encourage or require uploading data from any official Church system. ReturnAndReport.org requires that those who use it agree to remove an individual's information upon their request.

Brad O.
RonaldF-p40

Post by RonaldF-p40 »

Brad O. wrote:ReturnAndReport.org does not encourage or require uploading data from any official Church system. ReturnAndReport.org requires that those who use it agree to remove an individual's information upon their request.

Brad O.
That seems backwards to me. It shouldn't be put into the system unless the individual first agrees.
brado426

Post by brado426 »

Ronald,

I'm telling you what RAR requires of you. You may take it a step further if you wish. Like someone said earlier, RAR only accepts public record data, so as long as information is removed upon request, I see no problem with it.

Brad O.
RonaldF-p40

Post by RonaldF-p40 »

Brad O. wrote:Ronald,

I'm telling you what RAR requires of you. You may take it a step further if you wish. Like someone said earlier, RAR only accepts public record data, so as long as information is removed upon request, I see no problem with it.

Brad O.

The problem is that the members have no way of knowing that their information is being posted to a non church server. They trust that the church is protecting their information. I know that I am being very picky about this, especially considering the amount of information that is available online about all of us. We as church members and leaders should conduct ourselves at a higher standard. Just because the world does something doesn’t mean we should do it. If the leadership of the church says RAR is Ok, then I would be all for it. It appears to be a great tool. I guess every one has to do what they feel comfortable with.

Return to “General Discussions”