What wireless receivers are being used

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
lrawlins

What wireless receivers are being used

Post by lrawlins »

I'm wondering what wireless receivers others are using.

I have one machine a Dell GX620 using an EnGenius receiver that doesn't want to connect to the network. I have swapped out receivers and still am unable to connect.

My personal computer sitting next to it connects just fine, but this one won't.

My best guess is the unit is located no more than 25 or 30 feet from the wireless access point there is a good signal.

One additional note is the machine presently only has 250M of RAM (which I will upgrade tomorrow).

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've booby trapped myself in the past by setting MAC Address restrictions and then forgetting that I did that when trying to add a new device to my home network. If your device sees a good signal but won't connect, that might be an issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

lrawlins wrote:I have one machine a Dell GX620 using an EnGenius receiver that doesn't want to connect to the network. I have swapped out receivers and still am unable to connect.
If you could provide some more details about your network and the computer with the problem we could probably help you narrow down the problem.

Has the computer connected to the network in the past or is this a first attempt at connecting?

Does the computer with the problem recognize the network and display the SSID? If not try setting up the network again from the beginning. Make sure the computer is using the same security protocol as the network. If you used the autoconfigure feature of Windows it may have tried to setup using the WEP protocol. If your network is using the WPA or WPA 2 protocol make sure the computer is configured for the same.

If the network is Church provided, is the moroni script still installed? Are you using the LDSAccess script?

There are number of questions that could be asked but until more specifics are provided we are shooting in the dark.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lrawlins

Post by lrawlins »

I think it connected initially when we set up the network earlier this year. The Stake Tech who set it up had an unexpected change in his work and moved to Texas. I did help to run the wires to access points in the attic but that was the end of it until I was called to take his place.

I have reinstalled the drivers several times with no success and have done the "repair connection" several times as well. I run the configuration from the Install CD that came with the receiver.

We are using WEP encryption on the network

Yes it is going through a Church Firewall, but I know nothing about the moroni script or LDS Access scripts.

The thing that has me puzzled is I can go in with my MacBook, iPhone or iPad and connect while sitting right next to the GX620.

There have been lots of things I wasn't told about on this calling, but then that keeps it interesting.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lrawlins wrote:We are using WEP encryption on the network
If I remember correctly, you should upgrade that to WPA or WPA2. With any luck, it might solve the problem, but not likely.
lrawlins wrote:Yes it is going through a Church Firewall, but I know nothing about the moroni script or LDS Access scripts.
That only applies if the church had Cisco Access Points installed. But it sounds like this install was at a local level, so you can disregard that.

Getting back to troubleshooting - can it even see the network? Is the network configured to have the SSID hidden? Have you tried to enter the access key in a different way? I know some want a "pass phrase" and others want hex values.

Or maybe we should start simple. Make sure the AP is broadcasting the SSID, and turn off all encryption (just for testing) and see if you can get it to connect that way. Also check the IP settings for the network card. Wrong settings will prevent it from being functional, but I think the card will still report "connection".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

RussellHltn wrote:Getting back to troubleshooting - can it even see the network? Is the network configured to have the SSID hidden?
It sounds like the network is working and the SSID is probably being sent, since he can connect with the other devices without any trouble.

I would download and install InSSIDer on the machine that can't connect and see if it can see the network. That would give you an idea whether the wireless adapter is seeing the network (Windows configuration issue) or not (something wrong with the card or drivers).

Ditto on switching to WPA or WPA2.
lrawlins

Will run wire - less time than restoring machine to new.

Post by lrawlins »

I visited it on Saturday afternoon and have reached the conclusion that someone has disabled or deleted files it needs to work.

Will simply loop a wire from the firewall in one clerk's office to this one, about 30 feet door to door.

Interesting building - to get to this part of the attic I use a ladder and go through a concealed door in the Chapel. What were they thinking when they built some of the facilities.

On the other hand I have one building that was put up in 3 or 4 stages and much of it has no attic at all. That one did't make FM Group happy when we ran wireless!
kmichaelb

Wifi

Post by kmichaelb »

In the Hermiston, Oregon Stake we are using Linksys usb receivers (V-4). They have been working good here. They can be used with the Linksys utility or it will work with the Windows utility just by using the driver from the install disk.

Return to “Clerk Computers”