Full Time Missionary Question

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
lehrschallbrian

Full Time Missionary Question

Post by lehrschallbrian »

I am the executive secretary in a singles ward. We are trying to come up with the number of full time missionaries from our ward for our ward conference. We are a rather unique ward because most of the people who leave on missions do not leave from our ward. Their records are usually sent back to their family ward. So should we count all of those who we sent back to the family ward or just the missionaries who are actually in our ward.

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wakegop wrote:I am the executive secretary in a singles ward. We are trying to come up with the number of full time missionaries from our ward for our ward conference. We are a rather unique ward because most of the people who leave on missions do not leave from our ward. Their records are usually sent back to their family ward. So should we count all of those who we sent back to the family ward or just the missionaries who are actually in our ward.
The exact wording on the Officers Sustained Form is "For the information of ward members, the number of members of the ward serving full-time missions is _______". As I read that, it says "number of members of the ward," which seems pretty clearly to indicate only those persons who are actually members of the ward at the time of the ward conference.

The family wards will count the missionaries whose records are actually in their wards; if you were to count them, you would essentially be double counting. That said, this is just for informational purposes (it's not an official reporting procedure), so I would think that (with the bishop's approval), you could add on something like "... and there are also ____ former members of the ward who are serving full-time missions."
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “General Discussions”