Stake finance clerk: audit questions

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
quicky

Stake finance clerk: audit questions

Post by quicky »

Our stake has combined 7 wards into 6. I have an audit coming Tuesday for the ward which was deleted. Who signs the audit form; the Bishop has been released.

What is the best way to divide the remaining budget and other $ from the recombined ward with the resulting boundary changes? Should I figure a % based on how many members moved into each of the other wards?

It is impossible to know what the avg. sacrament mtg. and young men/young women.YSA numbers at this point. How to deal with budget monies from SLC when the next quarter's budget dollars are released from HQ. How do I deal with this? Thanks in advance, KQ
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Quicky wrote:Our stake has combined 7 wards into 6. I have an audit coming Tuesday for the ward which was deleted. Who signs the audit form; the Bishop has been released.
I would call the audit department -- the number is on the form.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Quicky wrote:Our stake has combined 7 wards into 6. I have an audit coming Tuesday for the ward which was deleted. Who signs the audit form; the Bishop has been released.
I know it's probably a bit late, but you should have been following the instructions for Discontinuing a ward or branch, which say that an audit is to be conducted at the time that the ward is discontinued. At that time, it is clear that the bishop would sign the audit. I personally believe that the bishop should still sign the form, since it represents his stewardship. But it wouldn't hurt to call the audit department for instructions.
Quicky wrote:What is the best way to divide the remaining budget and other $ from the recombined ward with the resulting boundary changes? Should I figure a % based on how many members moved into each of the other wards?
The stake president is always in charge of how budget funds get distributed to the wards, so this is no exception. It's pretty easy to do what you proposed and prorate the discontinued ward's allocation among the other wards according to the members who were moved to each ward. If I were in your situation, that's what I would propose to the stake president.
Quicky wrote:It is impossible to know what the avg. sacrament mtg. and young men/young women.YSA numbers at this point. How to deal with budget monies from SLC when the next quarter's budget dollars are released from HQ. How do I deal with this?
You're right that you can't go back and try to recalculate the numbers based on the past -- there just isn't enough information available. But in any case, whatever the stake president decides for the current quarter will probably be reasonable for next quarter as well. Eventually the allocation will be based on the 6 wards and no further adjustments will be necessary.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:It's pretty easy to do what you proposed and prorate the discontinued ward's allocation among the other wards according to the members who were moved to each ward. If I were in your situation, that's what I would propose to the stake president.
If at all possible, I'd try to calculate the number based on the active members that move. I suspect someone must have had an idea what that number would be when they drew the new boundaries.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”