The Beta Calendar is Up

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

techgy wrote:Once the conflict is reported I cannot save the event.
I'm not seeing that. If there is simply a possible event conflict, I can still save the event (see the Save button at the bottom):
EventConflict.jpg
EventConflict.jpg (15.31 KiB) Viewed 1690 times
But if there is a hard resource conflict, I cannot save the event (the only option at the bottom is Cancel):
ResourceConflict.jpg
ResourceConflict.jpg (16.62 KiB) Viewed 1690 times
When I look at your screen shot, I can't tell if you have a Save button or not, since you cropped off the bottom of the popup window. Or is it possible that you showed the whole popup window, and your real issue is that your browser is not displaying the whole popup window? You should always see at least a Cancel link at the bottom; I suppose it's possible that the presence of the conflict information causes the Save button and Cancel link to not be displayed. This could be because your browser window is too small, or some other setting.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Alan_Brown wrote:I'm not seeing that. If there is simply a possible event conflict, I can still save the event (see the Save button at the bottom):

But if there is a hard resource conflict, I cannot save the event (the only option at the bottom is Cancel):

When I look at your screen shot, I can't tell if you have a Save button or not, since you cropped off the bottom of the popup window. Or is it possible that you showed the whole popup window, and your real issue is that your browser is not displaying the whole popup window? You should always see at least a Cancel link at the bottom; I suppose it's possible that the presence of the conflict information causes the Save button and Cancel link to not be displayed. This could be because your browser window is too small, or some other setting.
I guess I can always claim senility.:rolleyes:
When I check for conflicts the screen that comes up shows a scroll bar at the right, but the bar is all the way to the bottom of the screen. This was giving me the impression that there was nothing below this. The only way I could see the "Save/Cancel" buttons was to grab the top of the screen and drag it upwards.

However, the issue of the software checking for a conflict on an adjacent day is still there. I see no sense in doing a conflict check for a Sunday when the event's on a Saturday and doesn't extend beyond that.

Edit: I just discovered that an event scheduled in building "A"'s chapel will report a conflict in an entirely different building on the same night. From the point of being realistic I suppose that may be intended since it would be poor tactics to schedule an event in two buildings that draw the same crowd.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
Mr.Intel-p40

Post by Mr.Intel-p40 »

Quick questions for a new beta calendar user:

Who can create locations/resources in the new calendar? I am in the bishopric with the agent bishop and the stake has assigned us to manage the resource calendar in the old LUWS calendar. We would like to transition to the new calendar for ongoing resource requests, but there aren't any resources and I can't see an option to manage them like I have for managing the calendars.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Kenning
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Mr.Intel wrote:Who can create locations/resources in the new calendar? I am in the bishopric with the agent bishop and the stake has assigned us to manage the resource calendar in the old LUWS calendar. We would like to transition to the new calendar for ongoing resource requests, but there aren't any resources and I can't see an option to manage them like I have for managing the calendars.
Locations are under the control of the stake. The list of approvers for the the stake includes the stake presidency, stake clerks (including assistants), stake executive secretary, and stake website administrator.

For any particular location (typically a building), any of those approvers can then designate any member of the stake as a building scheduler simply by editing the location and adding a scheduler. Then when that scheduler looks at Options for the calendar, he/she will see options for "Manage Locations and Resources" and "Manage Resource Assignments" (which will both be limited to the assigned location, of course).

It sounds like you need to to ask one of those stake leaders to add you as a scheduler.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mprusse

Saturday dates being cut off

Post by mprusse »

Anyone else seeing the dates for every Saturday on the monthly calendar missing? It appears they are cut off for me.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

macsense wrote:Anyone else seeing the dates for every Saturday on the monthly calendar missing? It appears they are cut off for me.
It would appear that about 20% of the right side of Saturday has been covered by the subscribed calendar information.

It would better if Saturday could be 20% longer instead of shorter :rolleyes:
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
FullmerCB
Church Employee
Church Employee

New Church Calendar - Transition FAQs

Post by FullmerCB »

FAQs to guide your ward/stake in transitioning to the new Calendar can be found here:

[font=&quot]https://tech.lds.org/ldshelp/index.php5 ... ition_FAQs[/font]
mprusse

Wait until 2012 for calendar?

Post by mprusse »

This is indeed discouraging. Up till now the help pages were indicating we could start using the new calendar for our 2011 planning. I wonder why the change. Especially in light of the fact that the instructions say we can use it for private calendars in 2011. I've been pushing hard to get our stake on the new calendar and especially to employ the new locations & resources features.

Additionally, with the release of LDS Tools for smart phones, they will have no calendar data for members to use if we have to wait until 2012.

I certainly hope they change this policy or offer an explanation.
dobrichelovek

Decisions, decisions. :)

Post by dobrichelovek »

I have no desire to question the decision or policy, just looking for guidance... :)

If a certain unit has already started using the new calendar within the unit, and we're willing to continue using it, knowing that it's still in development, does the policy FAQ imply that we should abandon this path-already-in-progress, do we need to look for the Stake to approve continued use, or may we continue to move forward since we've actually gained some traction in using the calendar compared to what we had before? ;) (I think I know that the answer will be to go with what your priesthood leader directs... but where is the level for the decision based on this policy FAQ and the official statements of permissive use?)

Hmm... that might appear to be a loaded question. :rolleyes: Anyway, we'll do what is 'right' but we're hoping that right isn't to go back on what we've already done. If we hadn't already implemented the new calendar in our unit before this FAQ came out, it might be less of a question, but we have.

Really, I'm not trying to cause trouble, just trying to help our unit be more effective using things that work closer to what we've been hoping for for a long time.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

dobrichelovek wrote:If a certain unit has already started using the new calendar within the unit, and we're willing to continue using it, knowing that it's still in development, does the policy FAQ imply that we should abandon this path-already-in-progress, do we need to look for the Stake to approve continued use, or may we continue to move forward since we've actually gained some traction in using the calendar compared to what we had before?
I don't think that Church HQ is trying to say you are forbidden from continued use until 2012. I think what they are saying that the only reliable, production-ready calendaring option for 2011 will be the old, still-active LUWS calendar. As for if you need local leadership approval to continue using the new calendaring system, I would say yes, it's certainly the discretion of your local leadership which technology will be used by the ward/stake. I'm sure many of us anticipating this new release have been readying our local leadership of the new solution, but I feel it is now our responsibilities to go back to them and tell them the sad news. It is then still their decision if they want to try using the new beta system or go back to the old, reliable calendaring system for another year. It really would be a gamble to bet on the new beta calendar being available all the time when a member of the ward would need it most.

Return to “Calendar”