Priesthood sessions via webcast?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
greedl-p40

Post by greedl-p40 »

CalS201 wrote:The night before General Priesthood Mtg, 1 of our 3 bldg satellite systems went "kapoot". SLC simply gave us a URL to a stream ...so.. via DSL, a laptop, and projector we were back in business that evening.
Same thing happened in our Stake. CHQ had different URL's for each session. We had to use the "WebCast" box to stream 3 sessions of conference in April. It seems like even though CHQ does not like to use the streaming option, they realize that when the ox is in the mire. . .
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

robartsd wrote:I have been in stakes that have satellite reception in multiple buildings. Perhaps the OP has seen this recently and thought that it was a webcast. I believe that all church buildings with satellite reception are authorized for Priesthood session by default.
In my stake, we have all building accepting the general priesthood meeting via satellite. So there is no need to fill up one building.

So my suggestion is have all your building be on the schedule to receive the broadcast. Then people won't have to travel any further than their normal Sunday meeting to watch.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

harddrive747 wrote:In my stake, we have all building accepting the general priesthood meeting via satellite. So there is no need to fill up one building.
Are you saying that all of the church buildings in your stake have a satellite system? That would be nice, but not the norm. I'm sure the church has some standards for how far away a building must be before it becomes eligible for satellite equipment.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

RussellHltn wrote:Are you saying that all of the church buildings in your stake have a satellite system? That would be nice, but not the norm. I'm sure the church has some standards for how far away a building must be before it becomes eligible for satellite equipment.
Yes all my buildings in my stake have satellite equipment. Two buildings are like 10 minutes apart the rest of them you have to drive about 25 minutes, minimum to get to them.

Terry
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

harddrive747 wrote:Yes all my buildings in my stake have satellite equipment. Two buildings are like 10 minutes apart the rest of them you have to drive about 25 minutes, minimum to get to them.

Terry
Either you have a Stake President with a lot of influence (which most have):) or else you're extremely blessed. We have four buildings in our and only satellite in the stake center. Distances are at most 20 minutes apart.

That would indeed be nice.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

harddrive747 wrote:Yes all my buildings in my stake have satellite equipment. Two buildings are like 10 minutes apart the rest of them you have to drive about 25 minutes, minimum to get to them.
Perhaps it's an experimental setup. But I would have expected a drive time measured in hours before I'd expect to see a stake with a system in every building.

Either that or you're in one of those areas of the church that knock out a new ward every other month and the church is expecting those buildings to all become stake centers. :D
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

techgy wrote:Either you have a Stake President with a lot of influence (which most have):) or else you're extremely blessed. We have four buildings in our and only satellite in the stake center. Distances are at most 20 minutes apart.

That would indeed be nice.
I would expect that I had stake presidents that pushed for it. I think most of the building in and around DC have satellite equipment. So all I can say is have your stake presidents request that other buildings get it, because it sure is a blessing in our stake.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Terry

Last time we asked, the rule was 30 minutes. Over that, you could get a satellite system. Our two buildings 10 minutes apart have to share one system (the stake center). Our other buildings are more than 30 minutes apart, and each has a satellite system.

This may have changed with the recent budget challenges. But our newest building was built about 4 years ago, 45 minutes from the next closest building, and got satellite.

On the other hand, I would not be surprised if longer distances are in effect now, the broadcasts will go toward internet URLs.
jviola

Post by jviola »

We have 10 buildings in our stake and all of them including the 5 branches have satellites installed. All of them except 3 buildings are more than 30 minutes apart. Our Southern boundary to our Northern boundary is like a 2.5 hours drive and East to West is about 2 hours. I just assumed that all LDS chapels had them installed. I guess I was wrong.
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

JamesBrown wrote:In our stake we are bursting at the seams during the priesthood session of stake conference. I know other stakes have the same problem. I know some stakes that have webcast hardware have used that to push the satellite broadcast back to SLC so they can view it at another building.

This seems like a waste of bandwidth and time. It would seem more efficient for SLC to push the priesthood session out on the streaming system (perhaps with a confidential URL) so that units can view that with their existing webcast hardware.

Thoughts?
Durring the preisthood session of conference, there is a URL availble, it is confidential, unpublished, and changes for each conference. the URL is made availble 1 hour prior to the start of conference. It is only given out from the global services Desk (GSD) to the presiding Unit authority (stake president, Bishop etc) this is to prevent it from getting out to the general membership and encourage the brethren to gather together.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”