CUBS is live

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
pete_arnett-p40

Problems with the conversion

Post by pete_arnett-p40 »

Originally Posted by nutterb Image
At least this way we can close out all the mess from the transition in the next few months
One of our ward clerk's said what a mess and it appears that he will need the next few months to redo most of the year 2010
:cool: Your Fellow Servant,
Porter (Pete) Lee Arnett Jr.
USA
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

slh531977 wrote:i just realized today that I never did the Backup of finance data yesterday. In the old world, we always got a prompt that "finance data has changed, please backup"). There was never a prompt to remind me. Is this a bug in CUBS or are we just supposed to remember all the time, or is it not as necessary anymore?
CUBS automatically backs up when you log off. It just does it quietly in the background instead of prompting you.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Pilotfly wrote:My frustration lies in that fact that I can't determine what exactly is or is not a discrepancy with what now shows on the computer. Specifically it looks like the Income and Expense Report is no where close to what I was expecting it to look like. The extra $21,000 in the remaining budget for Young Woman's camp is going to make for one really really happy Stake YW's president!
Don't try to compare income and expense reports. I know the instructions said to, but they are too different to really compare at all. Seethis post.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Here's a little more info I've picked up. All the information for CUBS does not come down on the first send/receive. It may take up to 5 and perhaps a day or two for it all to come down. Here's what I've noticed:
The first one rewrites the database.
The second one adds you as a "participant" to the system.
A third one downloads some adjustments, one of which should be your last OTA for sales tax (Jul 1 to Oct 17).
A fourth one adds your Q4 disbursements.
A fifth one (finally) adds a transfer for your 2010 remaining budget.

I have not been able to make sense of it all yet, but have at least finally gotten the budget report figure to match the Stake Financial Summary. This number is the remaining budget balance from the Sep SFS plus the Q4 disbursement, plus the final sales tax refund (if you get it - UT & NC). It represents your remaining budget as of Oct 22. Any expenses entered post-CUBS will need to be accounted for.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:Here's a little more info I've picked up. All the information for CUBS does not come down on the first send/receive. It may take up to 5 and perhaps a day or two for it all to come down. Here's what I've noticed:
The first one rewrites the database.
The second one adds you as a "participant" to the system.
A third one downloads some adjustments, one of which should be your last OTA for sales tax (Jul 1 to Oct 17).
A fourth one adds your Q4 disbursements.
A fifth one (finally) adds a transfer for your 2010 remaining budget.

I have not been able to make sense of it all yet, but have at least finally gotten the budget report figure to match the Stake Financial Summary. This number is the remaining budget balance from the Sep SFS plus the Q4 disbursement, plus the final sales tax refund (if you get it - UT & NC). It represents your remaining budget as of Oct 22. Any expenses entered post-CUBS will need to be accounted for.
That doesn't match my experience. I had done no more than two transmissions and I had my Q4 disbursements and my 2010 remaining budget.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Alan_Brown wrote:That doesn't match my experience. I had done no more than two transmissions and I had my Q4 disbursements and my 2010 remaining budget.
Ok, but I started Friday at 2. The remaining balance didn't appear until Saturday afternoon. I may have gotten ahead of their prepping stuff.
It will take at least 2 Send/Receives; the first sets up CUBS, the second transfers budget balances.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

crislapi wrote:CUBS automatically backs up when you log off. It just does it quietly in the background instead of prompting you.
I may have to redact this. I know in the test session Alan_Brown and I (among others) attended, backing up was automated. Alan_Brown specifically asked and that's the answer he was given.

However, despite having been on my MLS the last 4 days now and doing significant work on the finances, I cannot find a backup anywhere (no new files were created with the extension *.bak anywhere on my computer, and the backup folder does not contain anything after the 17th). I'd be curious to hear others observations.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

crislapi wrote:I cannot find a backup anywhere (no new files were created with the extension *.bak anywhere on my computer, and the backup folder does not contain anything after the 17th).
MLS has always made a backup each time a user exits. They are not .bak files, but they are available to the Assistant Stake Clerk for Technology when needed.

This does not preclude the fact that a unit ought to make a backup file of MLS (the .bak kind) each day MLS is changed. A backup of MLS will backup both the membership and the financial data, so a separate "financial" backup is neither possible nor necessary.

Most of our units find that one of the best times to make a backup is after the deposit is prepared and the Send/Receive is complete.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

lajackson wrote:MLS has always made a backup each time a user exits. They are not .bak files, but they are available to the Assistant Stake Clerk for Technology when needed.
Can you expand on this? How is it available? I need to train my STS to know this is available.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jshawut wrote:Can you expand on this? How is it available? I need to train my STS to know this is available.
This is explained on the wiki under Automatic backup.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”