LDS Linux

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

rmrichesjr wrote:As I understand it, the problem with Linux writing to NTFS is actually not on Linux's side, but (based on my study) the company that owns NTFS refusing to make documentation available and allegedly changing the format from time to time in ways that some believe are designed to thwart efforts to make Linux able to write to it.

Yes that is true that NTFS keeps on changing and that there is no documentation, but of course it is a propiertary format. Most people don't invest time, effort and money into a commercial product and then publish the How To on how to make your own without some cost. (Of course when everyone is concerned for their neighbor and the betterment of society that might be different)
rmrichesjr wrote:PAF works reasonably well for many/most practical purposes using WINE (WINE Is Not an Emulator). WINE can be redistributed under terms of the LGPL, so including WINE should not be a problem. PAF's license may be a difficulty, because it only allows "incidental, noncommercial church or home use" and prohibits selling it.

I am sure that if the church distributes this version that it wouldn't be a problem. But are you thinking of creating a flavor of Linux that you would sell? I thought that was against the GPL.
rmrichesjr wrote:Do you have a pointer to this "nFS client"? I have heard mention that there would be an open-source application that would use the NFS API, but I haven't seen anything specific to indicate it is actually being developed. Do you have a pointer?

*nFS ptrToNFS :D
Actually from the group working on nFS during the tech talks here in Provo they talked about the client so I do know that it is in production, just not what the status on it is. The church has asked us at work, I work for OnePage Geneology, though to create applications that interface into nFS.
rmrichesjr wrote:It would be WONDERFUL to be able to do MLS work from home, for those whose callings require use of MLS. (Each trip to the meetinghouse to enter home teaching visits costs me a few dollars in gas and nearly as much time traveling as actually using MLS once I get there.) However, the current MLS keeps the most current data on the local unit administrative computer, so that basic architecture would have to change before MLS could be used from homes.

How would you sync the data between the computers and how would you secure your personal computer at home? Also does headquarters allow two computers to simultaneously access the CHQ databases?
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tomw wrote:I can say that although Linux has come a long way, for non-technical users (and even some technical ones) it still has some rough edges.
At the risk of starting a OS flame war:D, there's the Unix Hater's Handbook. It's 10 years old, so some things have been fixed. I've seen a review that says it's infuriating and yet a call to arms to fix the remaining flaws.

I offer the link in the spirit of a friendly tease :p, and to confirm the quote back above.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

thedqs wrote:I am sure that if the church distributes this version that it wouldn't be a problem. But are you thinking of creating a flavor of Linux that you would sell? I thought that was against the GPL.

*nFS ptrToNFS :D
Actually from the group working on nFS during the tech talks here in Provo they talked about the client so I do know that it is in production, just not what the status on it is. The church has asked us at work, I work for OnePage Geneology, though to create applications that interface into nFS.

How would you sync the data between the computers and how would you secure your personal computer at home? Also does headquarters allow two computers to simultaneously access the CHQ databases?
When I said the PAF license would be a problem, I was thinking of someone other than the Church making the distribution. The GPL doesn't have a problem with selling software. There are places where you can buy CDs of a number of Linux distributions. What the GPL does say is a reseller cannot prohibit his customers from also selling or giving it away.

Thanks for the word that applications are being developed to work with the NFS API.

Syncing the data between computers is the main issue that I meant would require a change in architecture before MLS could be used from home. MLS would have to be changed from a model that the live data is on the computer in the ward clerk's office to a model that the live data is on a server at headquarters, basically turning the clerk's office computers into thin clients. Simultaneous access would fall out of the design of that model.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

rmrichesjr wrote:When I said the PAF license would be a problem, I was thinking of someone other than the Church making the distribution. The GPL doesn't have a problem with selling software. There are places where you can buy CDs of a number of Linux distributions. What the GPL does say is a reseller cannot prohibit his customers from also selling or giving it away.

Oh, ok. I just thought people got around the supposed "cannot sell" by selling documentation for Linux or support for Linux.
- David
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

rmrichesjr wrote:The GPL doesn't have a problem with selling software. There are places where you can buy CDs of a number of Linux distributions. What the GPL does say is a reseller cannot prohibit his customers from also selling or giving it away.
In addition, any software you sell that is GPL'ed you also need to provide source code for. So, in summary, you can sell GPL software but you also have to provide code to what you sell. If, for example, you sold package 'abc' that is covered under the GPL license, you have to provide anyone who purchased the software from you a link to, or a CD or other media containing the source code. You don't need to provide the source code to anyone in the world, just those who purchased the software from you.

Tom
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

thedqs wrote:...

Linux still needs work on writing to NTFS (it can read just fine) and that is what most people have their hard drives formatted as.
By way of information, it looks like progress is being made. This just appeared in Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.misc:

From mbbs@telenet.be Fri Jul 27 10:52:22 2007
Subject: Re: backups for dummies?
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Message-ID: <f9pqi.18616$rK3.852106@phobos.telenet-ops.be>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:35:23 GMT
Linux can perfectly write to NTFS nowadays.
You need to install the ntfs-3g driver.
It was experimental before, but now it has matured and is reliable

The ntfs-3g driver is an open source, GPL licensed, third generation Linux
NTFS driver for 32-bit, little-endian architectures which was implemented
by the Linux-NTFS project. It provides full read-write access to NTFS,
excluding access to encrypted files, writing compressed files, changing
file ownership, access right.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

rmrichesjr wrote:It provides full read-write access to NTFS,
excluding access to encrypted files, writing compressed files, changing
file ownership, access right.
Does anyone know what ahppens if it encouters a compressed or encrypted file/folder or what happens if a user tries to change ownership/access rights?

Tom
marianomarini

Good last

Post by marianomarini »

I posted elsewhere the same idea and now I find a forum for it. Great!
I'm interesting to an LDS/GNULinux distribution.
I tried to run PAF with Wine having bad results. Maybe working on it (Wine I mean) a little bit it's possible have more chance, but there is an Open Source project, GRAMPS, who works with LDS ordinances.
I know. All members know PAF, they are acquainted with, ecc. We can have ward classes on it.
It will be interesting build such a distribution.
Have some suggestions? (Sorry for my english, I'm an italian member).
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

PAF works quite well with Wine (except a few regressions that happen every once in a while). The Wine AppDB page for PAF 5 is at http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=1706

I recommend Wine version 0.9.50. You are welcome to email me if I can be of further help getting PAF working for you.
midgleyne-p40

Post by midgleyne-p40 »

tomw wrote:Does anyone know what ahppens if it encouters a compressed or encrypted file/folder or what happens if a user tries to change ownership/access rights?

Tom
I've been using ntfs-3g on my Ubuntu desktops at home and have had no problems reading to and writing from NTFS partitions. It's a part of the extra repositories as of Feisty Fawn 7.04. Also, I've encountered no problems due to usage rights, but that is an interesting question about encrypted files.

If you want, you could always run these operating systems through virtual machines. I run Ubuntu on top of Windows, and I've run Windows XP and Vista on top of Ubuntu. Check out VirtualBox for an open-source virtual machine.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”