The Beta Calendar is Up

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I've lost the ability to create or edit repeating events in the old calendar. For this reason, I can only conclude that the old calendar is junk. I really hope the development of the new calendar will be fast-tracked and be completely ready before 2012. I'm sorry I'm not more polite about this. The old calendar is a clunker.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

GregAnderson wrote:I've lost the ability to create or edit repeating events in the old calendar. For this reason, I can only conclude that the old calendar is junk. I really hope the development of the new calendar will be fast-tracked and be completely ready before 2012. I'm sorry I'm not more polite about this. The old calendar is a clunker.
There has been no change in the current LUWS calendar that I can see. Although I prefer the new calendar, I don't think it's correct to conclude from your challenge with repeating events that it is junk.

One thing that you might want to check is your popup blockers. The current calendar uses popups for repeating events, and so you need to make sure that all popup blockers (system-level, Norton/McAfee/etc., browser, and toolbar) allow popups from lds.org. In my experience, a popup blocker is always the reason people are unable to create or edit repeating events.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Alan_Brown wrote:In my experience, a popup blocker is always the reason people are unable to create or edit repeating events.
I've allowed pop-ups, but they often open behind my current window and I don't notice them, so I keep hitting the "repeating events" button, thinking it didn't work...
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Perhaps there should be some text next to the "Make this a repeating event" link which could say, "Pop-up windows must be enabled."
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

I just found out that the new version of the new.lds.org calendar allows you to grant editor rights to calendars by calling.

It also has a notice when you first go to the site
Local units may begin using this new calendar immediately, but should be aware that it will continue to develop throughout 2011. It is currently available in English, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Italian, French, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Russian.
Of course the help pages still say wait until 2012. :rolleyes: Hopefully they aren't updated. They still say languages will be here sometime in 2011 and calendar import as well, but it is listed in the site notice
Ward and stake administrators (leaders) can copy events from other calendar systems, including the Stake and Ward Website calendar, into the new calendar using the Calendar Setup and Event Migration Wizard.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

ryan jones wrote:I just found out that the new version of the new.lds.org calendar allows you to grant editor rights to calendars by calling.
Applause! :D
mprusse

Importing!

Post by mprusse »

I just noticed too that the new calendar now has an importing feature. I have made one attempt at a test import of an iCal file and it failed. I will continue to try but this is good news since the Calendar FAQs says importing won't be available until 2011.

Let's hope it's sooner than that as our 2011 calendar is all done in Calendar Creator or something like that.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

call me thick, but how do I copy an event across more than 1 calendar? If I want to add a meeting like ward council that is relevant to many auxillaries & quorums, how do I do that, without having to manually recreate the event on each calendar?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dannykos wrote:call me thick, but how do I copy an event across more than 1 calendar?
I don't think that's the way it was intended to be used. Rather, it should be placed on the most appropriate calendar with the expectation that everyone affected will subscribe to that calendar as well. Each member builds their own calendar by subscribing to all that apply to them, not by subscribing to just one that most closely fits.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

RussellHltn wrote:it should be placed on the most appropriate calendar with the expectation that everyone affected will subscribe to that calendar as well. Each member builds their own calendar by subscribing to all that apply to them, not by subscribing to just one that most closely fits.
the only concern with that is hoping that the individual decides that the calendars they need to subscribe to, are actually the ones they need to subscribe to!

I can just imagine people claiming to not being aware of activities / meetings - only to be told that they weren't subscribed to the correct calendar!?

Seems a bit awkward to me.

Return to “Calendar”