Request a clarification on usage of non-church owned websites

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

enriquer wrote:While we are at it we probably need the church's definition of "uploaded" too. Is uploaded a file upload or does it also mean keyed in?

So if ward members/leaders are to use the ymyw.org or scouting.org we have a problem. Because all of the informaiton they have does originate from the MLS system in one fashion or another.
In my opinion, that's not entirely true. Just because a name and address is stored in MLS, doesn't mean I am restricted from putting my name and address on other non-Church websites. I can't think of any sensitive, personal data that is usually found only in MLS that would be asked for by ymyw.org or scouting.org.
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

mkmurray wrote:In my opinion, that's not entirely true. Just because a name and address is stored in MLS, doesn't mean I am restricted from putting my name and address on other non-Church websites. I can't think of any sensitive, personal data that is usually found only in MLS that would be asked for by ymyw.org or scouting.org.
Mkmurray-

I agree. However, Church policies as they are written now do not make the distinction that seems obvious to us. :(
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

This isn't really stated in any policy, but I think I will submit it to everyone for consideration and debate...

Perhaps one good point of policy could be that you should never upload somebody else's MLS data that is not your own onto a non-Church hosted server. So if you are taking your own MLS data and uploading it to a non-Church server, do you have that right to your own data about yourself? But you should never have that right over someone else's data. Basically what it boils down to is that you can submit your own personal information to another non-Church website/server, but you cannot take any bulk export out of MLS (other people's data) and put it on a non-Church server.

Tom W. has basically been saying this the whole time that you cannot export MLS data to a non-Church server. This seems like something that would help solve the question of what "Church content" is; what does everyone think (especially Enrique)?
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I agree that exporting from the MLS database and uploading it falls under the policy. If the user inputs his own data then that is not covered, even if it is the same data under MLS.
- David
jay_jay-p40

New policy?

Post by jay_jay-p40 »

stated in the policy "Discontinuation of Local Church Unit Web Sites
With this in mind, a policy for creation, operation and maintenance of local unit web sites is being developed and will be sent to Priesthood leaders.
I just want to know if this policy has been established?

Thanks!
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Yes, the sites must be hosted by the church in the Local Unit Web Site (LUWS) system of lds.org. As of right now these are only available in the United States but is currently being updated to go to the international world.
- David
brado426

Post by brado426 »

I see no difference between uploading data from MLS and manually entering data that was acquired from MLS. Either action renders the exact same results.

I'm sure that whoever wrote the policy that prohibits uploading church data to websites would say that entering the data manually is also prohibited.

Brad O.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:Just because a name and address is stored in MLS, doesn't mean I am restricted from putting my name and address on other non-Church websites.
You are correct, but the question is, where does the data for Scouting or YM/YW originate from? Do they ask the members for it or does it come from reports that were printed from MLS? If I understand the purpose of these sites, it's to allow leaders to manage and organize their responsibilities. Just as you can't really have a HT/VT site without loading membership data on it, I don't know how you can have a site that manges Scouting or YM/YW without membership data. If these are "idea" with no data, then no problem.

Since there is a prohibition on uploading MLS data, it's hard for me to justify hand typing data from MLS reports.

My take on the situation is it's OK for you to enter data about yourself since you are giving permission to do so. But there is a concern if church leaders enter/upload data on members to non-church websites without the members' permission. To the extent that these sites can be used without entering data on other living people, by all means use the Scouting, Ancestry, YM/YW, HT/VT, etc sites.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn wrote:My take on the situation is it's OK for you to enter data about yourself since you are giving permission to do so. But there is a concern if church leaders enter/upload data on members to non-church websites without the members' permission. To the extent that these sites can be used without entering data on other living people, by all means use the Scouting, Ancestry, YM/YW, HT/VT, etc sites.

Exactly what I wanted to say and I think the letter wanted to be understood.
- David
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:Since there is a prohibition on uploading MLS data, it's hard for me to justify hand typing data from MLS reports.

My take on the situation is it's OK for you to enter data about yourself since you are giving permission to do so. But there is a concern if church leaders enter/upload data on members to non-church websites without the members' permission. To the extent that these sites can be used without entering data on other living people, by all means use the Scouting, Ancestry, YM/YW, HT/VT, etc sites.
Yes, this is exactly what I meant as well. Thank you for clarifying. I don't think it matters whether it is imported automatically or manually hand-typed, it is the same. You as an individual have no right to insert other people's sensitive MLS data onto a non-Church hosted server.

The key point I am trying to make is that just because my name and address are stored in MLS, doesn't mean I can't put it on some other non-Church site. But, I also don't have the right to put other names and addresses that are not mine onto a non-Church server.

Return to “General Discussions”