Annual Budget

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

crislapi wrote:CHQ will not intervene when wards go negative. It is the stake's responsibility to monitor and handle these situations.
Can you provide a source for that? They CHQ hasn't intervened in the past because they didn't know. Now they do. I seem to recall statements posted here that wards should never go negative once the issues surrounding the CUBS transition was complete.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

nutterb wrote:I had a hard time reading what you were intending here, so I'm restructuring it just in case there are others who read like I do

You can either use:

• the view/edit budget screen, no transfers, and the budget report or
  • transfers and the income and expense report.
Is this the case with MLS 3.3? There is another post about it here. Can anyone else confirm that it is okay to use the View/Edit Budgets screen without it messing up I&E reports?

Thanks!
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

RussellHltn wrote:Can you provide a source for that? They CHQ hasn't intervened in the past because they didn't know. Now they do. I seem to recall statements posted here that wards should never go negative once the issues surrounding the CUBS transition was complete.

Regardless of whether CHQ will intervene, I feel uncomfortable telling the Stake President that "action items" on the consolidated financial statement don't really matter.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

RussellHltn wrote:Can you provide a source for that? They CHQ hasn't intervened in the past because they didn't know. Now they do. I seem to recall statements posted here that wards should never go negative once the issues surrounding the CUBS transition was complete.
I believe this was a verbal statement made while a group of clerks were previewing CUBS. I'd have to ask aebrown (formerly alan_brown) to verify he heard the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's not documented in anything released.

Yes, the Nov 2010 additional information release contained the following statement (p3 under Issue: Can I write checks with no budget?)
After a ward receives and deposits the check from the stake, the budget category in the ward should be positive at all times.
However, if they do, the checks are still honored and they can continue to function.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

nathangg wrote:Is this the case with MLS 3.3? There is another post about it here. Can anyone else confirm that it is okay to use the View/Edit Budgets screen without it messing up I&E reports?
Just look at the columns that appear in the reports. The only difference is that the values you enter in view/edit budget appear in the "allocation" column in the budget report. The I&E report does not contain this column so in unaffected by these values.

However, the budget report does contain a "transfers" column, so transfers made to create balances in subcategories on the I&E report will also appear in the Budget report. Those transfers plus the allocation amount will lead to erroneously high balances.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

After a ward receives and deposits the check from the stake, the budget category in the ward should be positive at all times.

That's probably what I'm remembering. They might honor the checks, but unless it's in writing, I don't know as it would be smart to let a ward go negative as part of SOP.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

ralitaco wrote:1. Can I use the "View/Edit Budget"? (I thought there was an issue after the CUBS update)
One more comment. The budget report by design will start each category with $0 for 2011. Absolutely no info from the previous year is included. The I&E report, however will carry over the ending balance from the previous year as a balance forward amount. While both reports have this column, it behaves differently in the budget report, where on Jan 1 it is always $0 and only contains an amount if a range has a starting date other than Jan 1.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:
I believe this was a verbal statement made while a group of clerks were previewing CUBS. I'd have to ask aebrown (formerly alan_brown) to verify he heard the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's not documented in anything released.
Yes, that was a statement made in that CUBS preview meeting by the CUBS product manager and confirmed by one of the main CUBS analysts. I don't see any contradiction between that statement and the one quoted below. It can be entirely correct to say that wards "should" not go negative and to also say that no CHQ action will be triggered unless the stake as a whole goes negative.
crislapi wrote:Yes, the Nov 2010 additional information release contained the following statement (p3 under Issue: Can I write checks with no budget?)
However, if they do, the checks are still honored and they can continue to function.
The Church has always honored checks written by Church units, even if it would lead to a negative category balance. There has never been any indication to the contrary. Also, in that meeting that crislapi mentioned, this was specifically confirmed.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ralitaco

Post by ralitaco »

nathangg wrote:Is this the case with MLS 3.3? There is another post about it here. Can anyone else confirm that it is okay to use the View/Edit Budgets screen without it messing up I&E reports?

Thanks!

Nathan, you should probably disregard that portion of the other post b/c I created it and apparently I am not sure what is going on. Having said that, it appears that allocations in the "budget report" do not affect the I/E report; however, Transfers will affect the budget report.
ralitaco

Post by ralitaco »

crislapi wrote:...the budget report does contain a "transfers" column, so transfers made to create balances in subcategories on the I&E report will also appear in the Budget report. Those transfers plus the allocation amount will lead to erroneously high balances.

OK, This FINALLY cleared up the why I can't do both. THANK YOU.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”