Podcast - If we build it, will they come?

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.

What is the future of Podcasts?

What is a Podcast?
53%
What is a Podcast?
16%
What is a Podcast?
26%
What is a Podcast?
5%

Total votes: 19

kreeve-p40

Podcasting on it's way out?

Post by kreeve-p40 »

I have presented a few podcasting seminars at Higher Education conferences. It was all hype at first, but has died out quite a bit. Most people think podcasting is putting a video or audio online and do not understand the RSS. The Mormon Channel app is the closest thing to RSS without anyone knowing what it is. Those kind of things are cool, for the average user because new content (i.e. recent general conference sessions) appear automatically.

Keeping it easy and simple would be the key. Everyone has itunes on their computer, at least everyone <30 and those with teenagers at home.

Make some simple links that will launch itunes and subscribe automatically, then users will find new content on their ipod and think the LDS site is really cool because their is new content automatically downloaded.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I also know of popular aggregator services like http://www.stitcher.com/ which aggregates podcasts for you and plays them back like a radio station, it's completely customizable, and also runs on smartphone apps as well as PCs. Something like Stitcher typically takes out the 'geeky' side of podcasting, and because of that Stitcher has proven to be very popular.

There are others out there now.

I also know that some gaming consoles like the Xbox, Roku Soundbridge, etc., also run web streams and podcasts, and some users have actually used those to download Church podcasts as well, based on some scattered posts elsewhere.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

kreeve wrote:I have presented a few podcasting seminars at Higher Education conferences. It was all hype at first, but has died out quite a bit. Most people think podcasting is putting a video or audio online and do not understand the RSS. The Mormon Channel app is the closest thing to RSS without anyone knowing what it is. Those kind of things are cool, for the average user because new content (i.e. recent general conference sessions) appear automatically.

Keeping it easy and simple would be the key. Everyone has itunes on their computer, at least everyone <30 and those with teenagers at home.

Make some simple links that will launch itunes and subscribe automatically, then users will find new content on their ipod and think the LDS site is really cool because their is new content automatically downloaded.
One area that interests me the most when it comes to all this is that of Internet TV and in particularly the work going on at the BBC with their "Project Canvas" (see also wikipedia).

Via a set-top box you receive your Digital TV (DVB-T, DVB-S etc) as normal and like many people currently do but this new standard to come will also allow anybody to create their own channel or add-on service to be accessed via the internet.

This could just be HTML and XML (via XSDL?) so in effect a bit like RSS but why it will be a success is because there will be a common interface for the user whether they are watching the BBC (via DVB-T arial) or LDS General Conference (via internet) or any other useful station etc.
MattWorley

Post by MattWorley »

A couple years ago I ran a little video podcast called MormonCast, I created 50+ episodes on various topics. The most I have was a few hundred views, I build it and they did not come. The problem is advertising, getting the word out about the show, I tried to network with other LDS producers with not much luck. So I cancelled the show and might start it again one day, with a new format and delivery method. In fact I think the method would work better now with much more content being streamed to TV's and hand held devices.
If I can't do it, I'd love to see some one take on the beast that is "Original LDS Content" streaming on the web. As for monetization, well thats a pain. MormonCast was run out of pocket by me with about a $100 in donations. I had it set up through iTunes as a subscription, in fact it still might be up. In order to do it right, and do it well you need a good team of hard working creative/motivated people. I'd love to see it happen again.
Hit me up if any of you are interested in more info.
Matt Worley
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

MattWorley wrote:
Hit me up if any of you are interested in more info.
Hi Matt. We have an official iTunes Channel now with multiple podcasts in it including Conference and Mormon Messages. Many shows from LDS Radio are also in audio podcast format. It can be located at itunes.lds.org. Aside from that, I would be interested in hearing about some of the content you were creating. There is always room for new ideas and content.
MattWorley

Post by MattWorley »

Well I had a Video podcast on iTunes called MormonCast, it's still up there but it's been a couple years since I've done a show. Thinking about starting it up again. I did LDS movie reviews, commentary on church culture, did a show or two on being self reliant. It was all done in the spirit of fun. I even did a very short documentary on our stake pioneer trek. I really enjoyed doing the movie reviews, though the amount of content being created has dwindled.
Matt Worley

Return to “Digital Media”