Assistant Ward Executive Secretary can't view lds.org/leader

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
nathangg

Assistant Ward Executive Secretary can't view lds.org/leader

Post by nathangg »

We have an assistant executive secretary in our ward, but he can't log in to lds.org/leader... he get's the "unauthorized" error.

I did some research and I found on CDOL that he is set up in MLS as an "Assistant Executive Secretary" which is a custom calling.

That seems to be the problem: his calling is a custom calling.

However, there is not a standard calling for "Assistant Executive Secretary".

Attached is the list (screen shot from mls, zipped)

What is the recommended way to give the assistant executive secretary access? Should we change his calling to be Ward Executive Secretary?

Thanks!
--
Nathan
Attachments
No Standard Position for Asst Exec Secretary.zip
(29.21 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nathangg wrote:Should we change his calling to be Ward Executive Secretary?

I think you need to carefully examine the current tasks of the Executive Secretary and the Assistant and see if those are appropriate tittles for what they are doing. I think you also need to check with the stake since IIRC any calling at that level goes through them.

Note that "Assistant Clerk" is one position that appears to have access (although I'm not sure how much.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

RussellHltn wrote:I think you need to carefully examine the current tasks of the Executive Secretary and the Assistant and see if those are appropriate tittles for what they are doing. I think you also need to check with the stake since IIRC any calling at that level goes through them.
Thanks for the quick reply! I guess I was just going off of what the official help says:
Members with the following callings have access to Leader and Clerk Resources: stake presidents, district presidents, bishops, branch presidents, and their corresponding first counselors, second counselors, executive secretaries, assistant executive secretaries, clerks, assistant membership clerks, and assistant clerks.
However, even though it says "assistant executive secretaries", I think your advice is sound and we will consider the duties the bishop wants to have the assistant do versus the regular exec. secretary.

And yes, the assistant exec. secretary was called via the stake.

Thanks!
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

Perhaps in the meantime the help documentation should be changed? Since there doesn't seem to be a standard calling for "Assistant Executive Secretary"? Not sure what to do about that... :-)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The Wiki is clearer on that point. I suppose one might question if there is such a thing as "Assistant Executive Secretary" at he ward level. It's not in MLS. Is it mentioned in the Handbook?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:The Wiki is clearer on that point. I suppose one might question if there is such a thing as "Assistant Executive Secretary" at he ward level. It's not in MLS. Is it mentioned in the Handbook?
The wording in the Leader and Clerk Resources help uses abbreviated wording that lumps stake and ward leaders in the same sentence. It does not say that all these callings exist at both ward and stake levels; it just refers to "their corresponding...." As you mentioned, the wiki reference does make it very clear that "Assistant Executive Secretary" exists only at the stake level.

In any case, there is no "Assistant Executive Secretary" mentioned in the Handbook at the ward level, and no such standard calling exists in MLS. The functions of "Ward Assistant Clerk" are broad enough that he could function as an assistant to the "Ward Executive Secretary".
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

aebrown wrote:The wording in the Leader and Clerk Resources help uses abbreviated wording that lumps stake and ward leaders in the same sentence. It does not say that all these callings exist at both ward and stake levels; it just refers to "their corresponding...." As you mentioned, the wiki reference does make it very clear that "Assistant Executive Secretary" exists only at the stake level.
I edited the wiki a few weeks back to clarify that point. The original text by Tom Johnson (a technical writer for the church) was the same as in the official help (which he also wrote). Interestingly the official help is also a wiki and it appears that LDS Account credentials can be used to login and edit. However, I'm not sure how the church feels about community edits to the official help.
aebrown wrote:In any case, there is no "Assistant Executive Secretary" mentioned in the Handbook at the ward level, and no such standard calling exists in MLS.
I can't find any reference to an "Assistant Executive Secretary" on the stake level either but there is a standard position in MLS. Am I just missing something? Or was there a stake level position mentioned in the old handbook (which was in effect when the MLS position was added)?
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

RussellHltn wrote:The Wiki is clearer on that point. I suppose one might question if there is such a thing as "Assistant Executive Secretary" at he ward level. It's not in MLS. Is it mentioned in the Handbook?
Wow! I learn something new every day it seems... For the past 2.5 years I've been in wards where there has always been an "Assistant Executive Secretary" at the ward level... I guess I made the wrong assumption that this was a standard calling, when in fact it is not standard calling.

Oops!

I can totally see how the wiki has clarified this issue: the "Assistant Executive Secretary" calling is a stake calling (and thus the custom calling of "Assistant Exec. Sec." at the ward level will NOT have access to lds.org/leader.)

Thank you thank you thank you!
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

aebrown wrote:In any case, there is no "Assistant Executive Secretary" mentioned in the Handbook at the ward level, and no such standard calling exists in MLS. The functions of "Ward Assistant Clerk" are broad enough that he could function as an assistant to the "Ward Executive Secretary".
Where are you finding the functions of the "Ward Assistant Clerk"? I'm searching for it in the handbook, but just not finding it (probably a case of poor search terms :-) )
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

nathangg wrote:Where are you finding the functions of the "Ward Assistant Clerk"? I'm searching for it in the handbook, but just not finding it (probably a case of poor search terms :-) )
It's in Handbook 1, section 13.4.3. It gives some specific possible tasks, but basically says he can help the ward clerk, whose responsibilities are in section 13.4.2. Those sections also mention other handbook sections that describe responsibilities.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”